Railroad Forums 

• New York State Roundhouses

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#766198  by nydepot

sd80mac wrote:Thanks. were there used to be park in that area in past? is there any old map of that, similar to other old maps that are posted in here?
brp.jpg
brp.jpg (41.22 KiB) Viewed 3481 times
 #766201  by sd80mac

nydepot wrote:
sd80mac wrote:Thanks. were there used to be park in that area in past? is there any old map of that, similar to other old maps that are posted in here?
brp.jpg
Thanks-

Are these map in internet or you scanned them? If in internet, can I have the link?
 #766202  by pablo

Jamestown, NY had a roundhouse for the former JC&LE steam road that was later the JW&NW. Eventually, the Erie used it to store their switchers for use.

Dave Becker
 #766206  by sd80mac

Fayette Yard in Syracuse had a roundhouse owned by DLW (EL +CR). It was closed a bit later when CR took over. Then few years later, it was burned down. I often stopped by there with my grandpa, who was yardmaster at that yard. School own that property and turned it into baseball/soccer field. Kinda of surprise that they did it because it would be too costly to clean up the ground filled with diesel and oil... that nobody want to be responsible for and pay for.

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&i ... 03264&z=19

this one is totally separate from the Fayette yard... I dont think there was any other yards, in good size, that had roundhouse or service that is physically separately from the yard, except for helpers which have their own base with service.
 #766208  by nydepot

http://www3.libraryweb.org/home2.aspx

Then choose Local History and Rochester Images.

As one of your search terms, use Plat and then stick in a street name. Most of the map descriptions contain the streets on the map. So for the BR&P roundhouse I posted, I did Plat Buffalo West Hague.

Charles
sd80mac wrote:
nydepot wrote:
brp.jpg
Thanks-

Are these map in internet or you scanned them? If in internet, can I have the link?
 #766216  by RussNelson

Haven't bailed! I've been working on importing my list of railbeds into http://openstreetmap.org/ because my own (lame) data format didn't allow for switches, or interesting things like the build / abandon data, or even for multiple names when a railbed is now a road. I'm working on the LIRR right now, so I've got a ways to go. I'll make a consolidated list as soon as I have time. Keep adding 'em, and yes, Scotty, I want the historical ones too. I found on the RW&O maps of Potsdam an arc-shaped building which had been incorporated into a larger building. No doubt an early roundhouse, possibly before they built the roundhouse in Norwood. Maybe a remnant of the Potsdam & Watertown railroad? Nothing left of it now, though.
 #766218  by nydepot

Here are some more, not in Russ's format.....

DAVP (NYC) Dunkirk
42.478441,-79.321917

RWO Watertown
43.981672,-75.922254

RWO Watertown
43.974924,-75.905035

RWO Sacket's Harbor
43.948244,-76.11944

D&H Cooperstown
42.700798,-74.932358

D&H Oneonta
42.44929,-75.070181

D&H Oneonta
42.450934,-75.069693

Just copy and paste the lat/lon into Google maps.

Check out the Sacket's Harbor one. You can still see the back-wall curve of the roundhouse lined with trees.

Charles
 #766223  by SST

PIcs of the PRR at Ebenezer and the South Buffalo. These pics are first generation digital photo's. Not good quality. Better than nothing.

As a side note, I just looked up Ebenezer Railcar website and they mfr new railcars.
http://ebenezerrailcar.com/newcar.aspx

South Buffalo:
Last edited by SST on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #766228  by Lehighton_Man

Lat ??? Long ??? LV/ Naples / Historic - Pit filled in, no table. Was visible into the 1980s, abandoned after steam era ended on the Naples branch in 1940s. That is classified as *JUST* a turntable. it has been confirmed that no roundhouse was ever erected next to it.
 #766231  by nydepot

RWO Potsdam (circa 1865)
44.671165,-74.991254

RWO Ogdensburg (circa 1865 - two with a TT in the center)
44.7054,-75.486256

Lake Champlain & Moriah - Port Henry (6 stalls?)
44.043978,-73.463141

D&H - Plattsburgh (2nd) (1st appeared to use same TT pit but was built more north of current remains)
44.69733,-73.443335

Charles
 #766233  by nydepot

Yep, just a single stall EH northwest of the station.
naples.jpg
naples.jpg (19.04 KiB) Viewed 3414 times
Lehighton_Man wrote:Lat ??? Long ??? LV/ Naples / Historic - Pit filled in, no table. Was visible into the 1980s, abandoned after steam era ended on the Naples branch in 1940s. That is classified as *JUST* a turntable. it has been confirmed that no roundhouse was ever erected next to it.
 #766427  by JoshKarpoff

There was a roundhouse for the NYC's Harmon Yards.
From what I remember it was on the northwest side of the property of the shops, right up against where the Half Moon Bay condo development is.
I think it was demolished in the 1950's.
From friends of mine who work there, I've heard that there are still underground service chases that go between the old round house location and the main shop building.