• New York State Roundhouses

  • Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

  • 263 posts
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 18
  by scottychaos
 
hmmm..it seems we have the beginnings of an "All Time New York State Roundhouses" list! :P
it will be a BIG list! several hundred probably..

I started a "Tour of Buffalo Roundhouse sites" webpage awhile ago..but I never uploaded it because
I dont have any of my own photos to use..
I think I counted 19 total Roundhouses just in the Buffalo area alone..
I will add that list to this thread tomorrow..

and I think there were 8 roundhouses just for Rochester..

Hojack - Irondequoit
NYC - Two covered roundhouses at Kent street yard. (very early - 1850's)
NYC - Goodman st yard.
LV - along the river south of Rochester passenger station.
Erie - along the river, Corn Hill area.
BR&P - Lincoln Park
PRR - Genesee Valley Park.

NYC - Genesee Junction turntable, no Roundhouse

I could start a simple webpage to keep track, if anyone is interested..
probably easiest to organize them by Railroad..than maybe vaguely east to west by Railroad..
thoughts?

and I think we should definately include the "turntable only" locations too..
Genesee Junction.
Canadian Pacific has a new one in operation at East Binghamton..built it new 10-15 years ago..
and im sure there are others..

Scot
  by nydepot
 
Just following Russ' original key. :wink:

Charles
scottychaos wrote:"historic" means "no longer exists" ;)
ok..makes sense now! ;)

Scot
  by teched
 
This is really weird. I have been driving by the Roundhouse in Rome for years and use to know a guy who used it for storage. I drove by it last week and sure enough it is a roundhouse. I never put it together that it was a roundhouse until I put a model together for my HO layout. I was wondering if anyone out there might know who own it now. The guy I new 15 years ago was called "Slim" and he drove a Chevy towtruck. Sorry for not contibuting much but this is so cool.
  by nydepot
 
Where is a Hojack roundhouse?
scottychaos wrote:Hojack - Irondequoit
Scot
  by nydepot
 
Here's that station. Maroon building is the passenger station.
rome.jpg
houston wrote:...."The NYC trains came into Rome on one side of the long stone station; those of the Watertown Line upon the other.
houston
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by houston
 
Just wanted to close the loop here on the old NYC/RWO passenger station:

I got to thinking as I looked at the picture on the RWO history site. I thought Hey that is the old American Hardwall building just south of Denny's on South James St. Sure enough I went out and there it was.... it was last used as Ace Hardware ... Tracks are still on the south side which would have been the NYC side but the North tracks are gone which would have been the RWO side.

Now I will look for where the RWO shops were over at the Historical Society..

Thanks to all of you.. houston
  by scottychaos
 
nydepot wrote:Where is a Hojack roundhouse?
scottychaos wrote:Hojack - Irondequoit
Scot
It was just about here:

Image

I have a map at work that shows it...
I will post it tomorrow..

I have looked through that open field at the Marina for any visible signs of a foundation or pit..
there is nothing there..

Scot
  by houston
 
nydepot, thanks for the map.... I don't know how to send a google map but if you look at the section of the map that you have there are two buildings. The one that shows itself as the freight station is close to Ridge st, but the passenger station that was identified as maroon must have been an earlier one.... the passenger station is a little northeast of that freight station its pretty clear when you are there.

This is the postcard picture of the station: http://www.rworr.net/stations/rome.html

pretty interesting stuff really... the passenger station is about where the brown colored rectangle is on your map... it looks like it may be written on it. I was down there late today and matched the arches and braces with the picture.

Thanks guys..
  by nydepot
 
Scot's RW&O RH in Irondequoit:

I found it on a map from 1924. Nice one. Tail track into the swamp too.

Charles
  by nydepot
 
That maroon building says "RW&O" on one line and "NYC&HR station" on the next. I looked at Google. It looks like they are in the same place.
houston wrote:pretty interesting stuff really... the passenger station is about where the brown colored rectangle is on your map... it looks like it may be written on it. I was down there late today and matched the arches and braces with the picture.

Thanks guys..
  by houston
 
Oh... Ok nydepot... we are talking about the same building mine comes out brown not maroon... the maroon one is to the right of the rail on what I see.. we are on the same page and the same map..

Thanks for your work on this ... my son says I just don't know my colors...
  by sd80mac
 
scottychaos wrote:
and I think there were 8 roundhouses just for Rochester..

Hojack - Irondequoit
NYC - Two covered roundhouses at Kent street yard. (very early - 1850's)
NYC - Goodman st yard.
LV - along the river south of Rochester passenger station.
Erie - along the river, Corn Hill area.
BR&P - Lincoln Park
PRR - Genesee Valley Park.
Scot
what about this one at West Ave and Buffalo Rd?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 1&t=h&z=19
  by scottychaos
 
sd80mac wrote:
scottychaos wrote:
and I think there were 8 roundhouses just for Rochester..

Hojack - Irondequoit
NYC - Two covered roundhouses at Kent street yard. (very early - 1850's)
NYC - Goodman st yard.
LV - along the river south of Rochester passenger station.
Erie - along the river, Corn Hill area.
BR&P - Lincoln Park
PRR - Genesee Valley Park.
Scot
what about this one at West Ave and Buffalo Rd?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 1&t=h&z=19
That one is on the list..
it is the "BR&P - Lincoln Park" roundhouse.

Scot
  by nydepot
 
I think Russ bailed on all of us.

Charles
  by sd80mac
 
scottychaos wrote: That one is on the list..
it is the "BR&P - Lincoln Park" roundhouse.

Scot

Thanks. were there used to be park in that area in past? is there any old map of that, similar to other old maps that are posted in here?
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 18