Railroad Forums 

• Batavia map (and new map webpage)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#523411  by chnaus

dj
there was a companion bridge for the other 2 tracks. If you go to the end
of Mill st and walk over to the bridge you will see that the abutments are
double width. Old photos show these spans were not identical or of the same age.
The existing one was built in 1900 and was the newest.
This dual arrangement came about when the line was increased from 2 tracks to 4.

#523415  by Lehighton_Man

Thanks Scotty!
I've always wondered what that bridge was, from seeing it in my passages before. Never knew it was the Ithaca Pass. Main. Now i have something to trace now!
Thanks again Scotty.
BTW: I have a few maps of my own i have maps i have made before, would you mind if i put them up?
thanks
Sean

#523453  by TB Diamond

Kendaia:

The tower you mention near the LVRR bridge over the old NYC Fall Brook line was GY tower. It was origionally a NYC tower, then went to PC and finally to CR. The tower was closed and then demolished back in the late 1980s or early 1990s, if memory serves.

BTW: The LVRR Geneva Jct. tower remained in service until the 1950s when the plant was converted to electrical control and the control point was placed in the Geneva passenger station. Later the control point was moved to the Geneva yard office. This control point was abandoned when CTC was installed on 07 September 1965 between Geneva Jct. and Kendaia. Thereafter Geneva Jct. Int. was controlled by the Sayre Block Station. The plant electrical and control gear was contained in what had been the basement of the Geneva Jct. tower.
Last edited by TB Diamond on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#523507  by scottychaos

TB Diamond wrote:Scot:

In your description above you mention that the site of Geneva Jct. is no longer visable. When I was back east last Fall I walked the area and noted that the foundation of the Geneva Jct. tower was extant, but slowly disappearing into the foliage. The signal tower for e/b movement was also still extant but was being crowded by fast growing trees.

However, should one not have been in the area before one would be hard-pressed to tell that an important rail junction once occupied the site.
Thanks! I didnt know that. (about the junction tower foundation)
I will check that out sometime!

Scot

#523526  by dj_paige

chnaus wrote:dj
there was a companion bridge for the other 2 tracks. If you go to the end
of Mill st and walk over to the bridge you will see that the abutments are
double width. Old photos show these spans were not identical or of the same age.
The existing one was built in 1900 and was the newest.
This dual arrangement came about when the line was increased from 2 tracks to 4.
Thanks, chnaus. I'll go look for the abutments. Do you know what year the 2nd bridge was removed?

I'm surprised that they would remove the 2nd bridge; there are many places where tracks have been removed and the bridge remains intact.

#523817  by lvrr325

FWIW, most of the LV Ithaca branch can be made out going down into Ithaca from Geneva. You have to know what you're looking for, though.

#526331  by Nathan M3

Regarding the question about the bridge over Tonawanada Creek. The bridge for the other two tracks was right next to the existing bridge to the south, the concrete abutments are still on the creekbanks.

#528454  by scottychaos

I just went and updated the page!

normally im not a big fan of thumbnails, and I seldom use them on my own pages...because im often annoyed by a page-full of thumbnails that I have to click if I want to see all the pics..

but thumbnails have their place..

and on my map page, there were just too many really BIG maps all on one page..it took a million years to load.

so I converted the whole thing over to thumbnails..
the page is meant to be just a reference anyway, so I think thumbnails will work better in this case..

hope this improves usability of the page.

thanks,
Scot

the new version:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/maps/

#528744  by thebigham

Great job, Scot!

Thanks!