Railroad Forums 

• Private equipment collection at Colonie and Glenmont

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#443714  by mxdata

Patiently waiting for the deluge of responses........................................

Anybody got $100,000 to put the switch back in?

Patiently waiting for the deluge of responses........................................

MX

#443717  by RS-3

OK, lets assume most of the stuff will get scrapped. BUT the FA is getting out. (That's not a maybe, that's pretty much a given.) And reportedly the CP is going to do by rail. Thus it would (to me anyway) makes sense that anything else there that might be worth saving be moved at the same time, if only to some nearby live rail. (I'm thinking the 4126 is probably the only thing worth saving of the stuff at Colonie.) Hopefully any and all the saveable stuff gets moved at the same time. What's left will be torch fodder as is, where is.

RS

#443720  by scottychaos

years back, on one of the hundereds of threads about these units in various forums, there was a Long Island group (museum? historical society?) interested in the LIRR S1 at Colonie.

at the time, no one could figure out who owned the unit, so it was dropped..
its possible now the lack of an owner might no longer be a hurdle.
CP could probably give permission for the unit to be taken away.

anyone remember what group that was?
I tried searching old threads, but couldnt find it.
If we could find that group, might be time to alert them of the goings-on in Colonie.

Scot

#443729  by Alcoman

The group was "The Railroad Museum Of Long Island" .

Like I told a Lotto Agent yesterday....If you provide me with that winning set of numbers, let me know what they are and I will buy a ticket.

#443730  by Otto Vondrak

I had once proposed to Danbury Railway Museum that they accept the electrics being the closest museum to the territory where they operated. They were receptive to the idea of being a host, but could commit no funds or manpower as they already had other budgeted projects on the books... (understandable). I could always start talks with DRM again, but they would need to commit at least some precious real estate for these items to sit and take up space on. In case you haven't visited DRM lately, their yard is getting filled up quickly. That still leaves the question of funds to make the move. A "hospital move" wont get those engines back on live rail even with all the FRA waivers in the world. The S-motor alone is nearly 100 years old!

-otto-

#443731  by Herr Spreng

RS-3 wrote:OK, lets assume most of the stuff will get scrapped. BUT the FA is getting out. (That's not a maybe, that's pretty much a given.) And reportedly the CP is going to do by rail.
A given ??? Are you a CP major domo ? Do you have the authority to execute the decision. I doubt it. There are NO givens in these situations. Just lots of hot air.

When the job is done, then you can brag to the rest of the world. This game is all too full of wing bags.

#443740  by traingeek8223

Lets all remember that nothing in this world is impossible. If I had the money and wanted a NYC Hudson, I could have one. We aren't talking anything that grand here. $20,000 is not that large of a sum of money to come up with. If proper fund raisers are put together or grants applied for it's not out of the question that most of this stuff can be saved. Let's not scrap the stuff because it's going to be difficut. If thats your attitude than while your at it cut up the 1361 and 3713 too. Remember the historical significance of this colection. there are at least four pieces there that are the last of their kind, the two electrics being the most important. Remember once it's gone it can't come back. I don't see any billionars building replicas of any NYC electrics any time soon.

#443741  by Alcoman

Herr Spreng wrote:
RS-3 wrote:OK, lets assume most of the stuff will get scrapped. BUT the FA is getting out. (That's not a maybe, that's pretty much a given.) And reportedly the CP is going to do by rail.
A given ??? Are you a CP major domo ? Do you have the authority to execute the decision. I doubt it. There are NO givens in these situations. Just lots of hot air.

When the job is done, then you can brag to the rest of the world. This game is all too full of wing bags.
RS-3 is correct. The FA IS going soon. Just waiting for CP to inspect it. I am working with the group that is taking it. It will heading to Virginia soon.

#443748  by pablo

The question still on the table (and attempted to be answered by Otto): where could the stuff even go?

If we have no answer, who cares whether CP will allow it to hit live rail?

Dave Becker

#443750  by ricebrianrice

Would the trolley museum in Kingston want the NYC electrics?

I know there are not "trolleys" but eventually then plan on having overhead wire, and they might fit into there scheme?

#443754  by RS-3

"A given ??? Are you a CP major domo ? Do you have the authority to execute the decision. I doubt it. There are NO givens in these situations. Just lots of hot air."

Herr, don't put words in my mouth. If you're going to quote me, please quote me correctly. I said "PRETTY MUCH a given". I take you do understand the "qualifier" in "pretty much"?

RS

#443755  by Otto Vondrak

$20,000 is not that large of a sum of money to come up with. If proper fund raisers are put together or grants applied for it's not out of the question that most of this stuff can be saved.
traingeek, you obviously have no experience with fundraising or grant writing. The grant process takes YEARS to put in motion. This stuff is getting cut up TODAY (figuratively speaking). If $20K is not that hard to come up with, I hereby task you with the charge. Have at it.

-otto-

#443791  by nessman

traingeek8223 wrote:Lets all remember that nothing in this world is impossible. If I had the money and wanted a NYC Hudson, I could have one. We aren't talking anything that grand here. $20,000 is not that large of a sum of money to come up with. If proper fund raisers are put together or grants applied for it's not out of the question that most of this stuff can be saved. Let's not scrap the stuff because it's going to be difficut. If thats your attitude than while your at it cut up the 1361 and 3713 too. Remember the historical significance of this colection. there are at least four pieces there that are the last of their kind, the two electrics being the most important. Remember once it's gone it can't come back. I don't see any billionars building replicas of any NYC electrics any time soon.
$20,000 is roughly half the salary of the average working man... and probably a good percentage of a decent RR museum's annual operating budget.

As a taxpayer, I don't want to see my money go to waste so some railfans can "rescue" a rusting hulk from the woods, slap a coat of paint on it and park it in front of a crumbling old train station that's open for only 4 hours a week between Memorial Day and Labor Day in the name of preservation.

Junk is junk. The stuff in Colonie is junk. The stuff at the power plant is junk. It will never run. It will never travel on live rail to a new home. No one will raise the funds to move the stuff. No one will raise the funds to restore the stuff. My guess even is Ed Bowers has taken a pass at this stuff because it isn't worth saving.

Bring on the scrapper - the stuff is worth $200/ton. Put the money towards what's worth saving - perhaps that'll save and actually preserve the electrics.

Down the road - are we going to save every last SD-40? Every last GP-38? Every last Dash-9? All in the name of historical preservation? Of course not - engines, like everything else, sooner or later will get past the point where it's no longer economical to keep running and repairing. So off they go - to be melted down to make new engines.

#443810  by RS-3

"Junk is junk. The stuff in Colonie is junk. The stuff at the power plant is junk. It will never run. It will never travel on live rail to a new home. No one will raise the funds to move the stuff. No one will raise the funds to restore the stuff."

Les, I suspect the WM group will disagree with you. Otherwise they are wasting a lot of time and money but somehow I don't think they are but time will tell. Would you like to place a small wager on it?:-)

RS

#443814  by Otto Vondrak

There is some truth to what Les is saying. It's the unpleasant side of preservation. You can't save it all. M&H sincerely tried to start something so many years ago, but for whatever reason, it didn't work out. And now it will be cut because there appear to be no other options.

And grants don't always come from public money. Many grants come from private foundations, so don't always assume "your taxes" are paying for the local steam loco to sit on display in the town park.

RS-3- What's the WM group?

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.