Railroad Forums 

• Private equipment collection at Colonie and Glenmont

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#443665  by mxdata

The only viable solution is to part them out for the material that is salvageable and scrap whatever is left over.

They could do some good for museums or other NRHS chapters that have equipment, but.....

Don't bother trying to understand some NRHS chapters, Otto. There is no rational explanation for some of these things.

MX

#443668  by nessman

My thoughts exactly... part them out and scrap the rest. Use the proceeds to restore engines that are worthy of preservation.

#443669  by scottychaos

mxdata wrote:The only viable solution is to part them out for the material that is salvageable and scrap whatever is left over.

MX
Well..its obviously the easiest solution, and perhaps the most likely solution, but its certaintly not the ONLY viable solution.

Its certaintly possible to get the units out of there..
difficult? yes!
requires tons of money? yes.
unlikely? probably..
but its still possible.

Scot

#443674  by nessman

scottychaos wrote:Its certaintly possible to get the units out of there..
difficult? yes!
unlikely? probably..
but its still possible.
Give it up. The only way those things are getting out of there is in pieces with a little help of a cutting torch and shears.

#443677  by scottychaos

nessman wrote:
scottychaos wrote:Its certaintly possible to get the units out of there..
difficult? yes!
unlikely? probably..
but its still possible.
Give it up. The only way those things are getting out of there is in pieces with a little help of a cutting torch and shears.
hmmm..did I miss the memo?
When was Nessman made supreme ruler of the universe? :wink:

you can "give it up" if you like...and I admit you are FAR more likely to be right...but why give up all hope if the slightest hope remains?

they arent scrapped yet.

Scot

hi

#443678  by thebigham

When the Lake Shore RHS moved exWAG #1700 from Gowanda, NY, to Erie, PA, on a flat car, it cost about $20,000.

And that was with the cooperation of Winters Rigging, NY&LE, BSOR and CSX.

#443679  by thebigham

Thanks for posting the pics, Scot.
 #443685  by scottychaos

thebigham wrote:When the Lake Shore RHS moved exWAG #1700 from Gowanda, NY, to Erie, PA, on a flat car, it cost about $20,000.

And that was with the cooperation of Winters Rigging, NY&LE, BSOR and CSX.
yeah, it can happen..
that Ford GE at Gowanda was also "left for dead" for several decades..
but that unit had one huge advantage..it was on live rail!
The Glenmont units are totally land-locked. :(

I know there is at least one group looking into these units.
they might not have the ability or enough resources ($$$) to do anything, and yes, they could easily be scrapped..
but at least there are people looking into the logistics of saving them, trying to see if its actually possible..thats better than nothing.

Scot

#443687  by nessman

scottychaos wrote:hmmm..did I miss the memo?
I'll have my secretary re-send the memo!
you can "give it up" if you like...and I admit you are FAR more likely to be right...but why give up all hope if the slightest hope remains?
Try telling that to the families of those coal miners in Utah. Point being there may be a teenie microscopic chance... but reality is - ain't gonna happen. At $20k a pop (probably more) to get a crane, flatbed, transportation, etc... who's gonna pony up the dough to move junk somewhere else where it will sit for another 20 yrs and deteriorate even further. Most NRHS outfits and other preservation groups barely have the $$$ to maintain the stuff they have today.
they arent scrapped yet.
Yet is the operative word here.

#443692  by mxdata

If there is no viable rail interchange in either location now, your only option to remove them is by road. To do that, they have to be broken down to components that are within highway weight limits. In other words, you have got to part them out (i.e. scrap them) just out to get them out of there.

Sorry!

MX

#443693  by scottychaos

nessman wrote:
scottychaos wrote:hmmm..did I miss the memo?
I'll have my secretary re-send the memo!
Try telling that to the families of those coal miners in Utah. Point being there may be a teenie microscopic chance... but reality is - ain't gonna happen. At $20k a pop (probably more) to get a crane, flatbed, transportation, etc... who's gonna pony up the dough to move junk somewhere else where it will sit for another 20 yrs and deteriorate even further. Most NRHS outfits and other preservation groups barely have the $$$ to maintain the stuff they have today.
they arent scrapped yet.
Yet is the operative word here.
Nessman,
I agree with you 99%..
I just refuse to give up that last 1%! :wink:

The Alco FA is getting out.
the Ford WAG unit got out.
And im sure there are plenty of examples of "land locked" units being saved.
all im saying is that no one can use the word "impossible"..

Check out this story:

http://4largescale.com/fletch/
(click on "Locomotive Const" then "Mud Rogers, History")

This loco was used for FILL, as part of a retaining wall, in a river!
it was dragged out of the river mud, and fully restored to operating condition!

before:

after:

Scot

#443695  by Otto Vondrak

All right, we're going in circles. Limit the discussion to Colonie.

The fact remains, you will have to have at least $20,000 in the bank before you can take action on even just one unit there.

-otto-

#443697  by Alcoman

Otto Vondrak wrote:Anyone remember this? The electrics were cosmetically restored and moved by rail to Grand Central Terminal in 1985-era for a movie shoot! After the shoot, they were moved back to Albany... where they have been ever since. I looked into starting a non-profit group to raise money and move the electrics to Danbury Rail Museum, but was more or less rebuffed and told the Chapter was looking for scrap value of the equipment only and not interested in preservation.

Here's the biggest issue that I'll keep repeating... we can want, hope, and wish for this equipment to be saved... we can curse M&H for letting the collection rot... but the reality is that it will cost tens of thousands of dollars to move these pieces by truck and crane... and that's even before you start restoration! If we're serious about saving anything, we have to come forward with cash. I gave up my project because I do not have the funds (I'm talking like political campaign-sized donations) nor the connections to make something like this happen. All I can do is sit in my corner and sulk... with makes me mad, because I don't know what else to do.

-otto-
I do remember that Otto...I have pictures of them IN Grand Central as well after they were returned in clean paint.
Another words, the M&H group is looking for a quick fix to the problem...by scrapping them.
As I have said before.. they have had over 15 years to do something....and they did nothing. Now that the cutting torch is in view, they don't give a darn anymore...It's their own fault. Makes me sick because when I was involved with the group 20 years ago, the same BS went on then as it is now. All because of 1 guy who thinks he has all the answers.

#443701  by scottychaos

mxdata wrote:If there is no viable rail interchange in either location now, your only option to remove them is by road. To do that, they have to be broken down to components that are within highway weight limits. In other words, you have got to part them out (i.e. scrap them) just out to get them out of there.

Sorry!

MX
nope..sorry but that still doesnt prove that the word "impossible" must be employed.

Im not talking about LIKELY! :P
I fully understand the problems involved!
im only saying its possible that the units could be moved to live rail,
or rail could be re-laid to them.
again, not likely!
but possible..

that scenerio was debated on one of the hundreds of other old threads about these units..

they could also be moved out by truck in pieces and reassembled somewhere else..that has been done in other cases.
Edaville being one example: http://membrane.com/~elmer/rail/edaville/

thanks,
Scot, apparently the only keeper of the "nearly impossible" ideas. :wink:

#443710  by pablo

Can I add a question?

Who wants the NYC locos, clearly the most historically significant ones there? Do we have a winner?

Let's work the hypothetical situation in reverse and see where it goes. Seriously.

Somebody slip Les some happy pills. I can't reach mine from here.

Dave Becker