Railroad Forums 

• CSX Charlotte Runner

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1553180  by BR&P

nessman wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:33 pm This is how I can see things playing out...

* Build connector track between Belt Line and Runner just south of the KPRR overpass
Given that R&S has the switching contract for the former Kodak plant, it might be possible to utilize Kodak track to get to the former NYC, no new connection needed. Physically it can be done now, presumably they would need some legaleese in their contract allowing "through traffic" from one side to the other.

And while we're discussing potential modifications, curve the R&S westward from the KP overpass westward into the plant and eliminate the R&S crossing of Ridge Road.
 #1553195  by nessman

BR&P wrote:And while we're discussing potential modifications, curve the R&S westward from the KP overpass westward into the plant and eliminate the R&S crossing of Ridge Road.
Still need a crossing to get north to the Box Shop though...

So since we're theoretically in charge and can do whatever we want (hehe)... abandon the Buffalo Wye and Charlotte Runner from the CSX mainline to just north of Ridge Road and keep the remainder to the Box Shop and abandon everything north of that. Keep the R&S Belt Line to just north of Ridge Road and abandon everything north of that. Tie the CSX and R&S lines together between Ridge Road and the CSX switch into Kodak.

Abandon the Falls Road Industrial Track from Mt. Read Blvd to the Buffalo Wye. Put in a connector track in the southeast quadrant. Keep everything west of the east switch to the siding to the canal.

Yellow = R&S tracks being kept, Green = CSX tracks being kept, red = everything being abandoned.

Orange track is the proposed connector between the R&S and CSX tracks being retained. Abandon the CSX entrance to Kodak Park and use the R&S entrance. Only one crossing across Ridge Road will remain. Of note - the KPRR yard tower is now gone on the CSX side.

Purple track is the proposed connector between the R&S and Falls Road Industrial Track. Of course this assumes the property owner there is on board.
 #1553212  by CPSmith

Nice map! Agree with one comment: not sure why you need to place the crossover to the CSX and the box shop just north of the Ridge - I would put it even farther north, just north of the Dewey Ave. crossing - that way you could eliminate two more crossings. (The R&S [old B&O] crossings at McCall and Dewey stay, the current CSX [old NYC] crossings go away)
 #1553216  by BR&P

You would not eliminate 2 "more" crossings, just different ones. His first photo shows red for the R&S north of his new connection, indicating removal of the R&S crossings at McCall and Dewey. Although that would also eliminate the Barnard runaround. Your suggestion would keep the R&S ones and eliminate the CSX crossings . I'm guessing that of the two lines between Ridge Road and Dewey Ave, the CSX track is in better shape.

So if we eliminate the CSX Charlotte Branch entirely, what's left? A couple years back I ignited a firestorm on April Fool's Day by suggesting CSX double track the West Shore and sell off the main line between Fairport and Chili., thus saving taxes and maintenance and allowing the City of Rochester to re-imagine the entire Upper Falls area. Time to revisit that discussion, or wait till April 1? :wink:
 #1553218  by BR&P

CPSmith wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:32 am I would put it even farther north, just north of the Dewey Ave. crossing
Just an historical note for those not familiar with the history of that area - there actually used to be such a connection from roughly the 1890's to about 1910. The BR&P used to take coal over onto the NYC (NYC&HR in those days) and north about a mile to the old Yates Dock on the Genesee River. When Charlotte Dock was constructed at the foot of Boxart Street in 1909, that move over the Central was no longer needed.
 #1553219  by CPSmith

Sorry. I missed that. That's what I get for replying before coffee. I assumed the R&S would remain intact north of the ridge with the runaround intact as well. That would be my suggestion regardless.

Since this is a pie-in-the-sky exercise and we're making the state pay for it, every grade crossing gets updated anyway!
 #1553224  by railroaderanonymous

R&S would have to get back into contract negotiations with Eastman Business Park. G&W RSS (Rochester Switching Services) as it was called stopped switching the park after the coal ended. R&S now just simply makes their set out and pick up in the West yard at the park. A few of the former RSS employees were re-hired as Eastman Park employees and now handle all the interplant switches.
 #1553256  by nessman

railroaderanonymous wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:05 am R&S would have to get back into contract negotiations with Eastman Business Park. G&W RSS (Rochester Switching Services) as it was called stopped switching the park after the coal ended. R&S now just simply makes their set out and pick up in the West yard at the park. A few of the former RSS employees were re-hired as Eastman Park employees and now handle all the interplant switches.
Traffic levels are probably such that they don't need RSS to do the work anymore.
 #1553261  by nessman

CSX line is in far better shape the the R&S - north of McCall Road which hasn't seen a train in what - 10+ years. That and there appears to be encroachment issues on the R&S line further north. Only customer on that line north of Kodak is Matthew and Fields Lumber. So make sense to jump on to the CSX line to get to the Box Shop as soon as possible north of Ridge Road.
 #1553262  by nessman

BR&P wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:20 am So if we eliminate the CSX Charlotte Branch entirely, what's left?
CSX's share of Kodak Park traffic, the Box Shop. Then you got Klein Steel on the Falls Road Industrial Track as well as the county recycling plant (which never generated any rail traffic anyway). There's other potential customers on the FRIT but no takers.
 #1553264  by BR&P

nessman wrote:
CSX's share of Kodak Park traffic, the Box Shop. Then you got Klein Steel on the Falls Road Industrial Track
So 3 customers who probably have enough cars in a month to make one good train. CSX should drop that traffic at Genesee Junction for R&S to handle, and just wave to Rochester as they go by.
 #1553307  by railroaderanonymous

Keep an eye out in the next year at Eastman Business park. LiDestri finally began groundbreaking a few weeks ago on a 65,000 sq ft new venture called One Frozen. Check out LiDestri's press releases page for articles. They were published in 2019, but it is finally starting. "Rumor" has it 800-900 cars a year of frozen product. "Allegedly" LiDestri is pleased with R&S service and has already said that after the service they received from CSX they will never go back. Fingers crossed more R&S presence next year.