Railroad Forums 

• CSX Charlotte Runner

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1432453  by Matt Langworthy

Their interest is in Weyerhauser. The R&S doesn't need the yard.
 #1432546  by BR&P

I believe that's now IP, think Weyerhaeuser sold it a few years back. Might have had another name in between but I'm not sure of that.

That's another piece of business that's gone. In the 70's there was another track going into the east side of the plant, where they loaded outbound cars. It was boxes for Milkbone dog biscuits at Niagara Falls, and bundles of scrap corrugated going to National Gypsum at Oakfield. Not only is the traffic itself gone but you would never guess there was ever another track.

I doubt the pulpboard traffic inbound is too robust either. They used to handle about 3 cars a day at one point.

The paper business in general is nothing like it used to be. In addition to the obvious questions of how many cars, how much track to maintain, a prudent railroad would ask how much longer will the factory continue to operate at all?
 #1432561  by Matt Langworthy

Weyerhauser/IP might be more viable than you think. If NYS has given them a tax break (e.g. PILOT program) then it might not be expensive for them to operate the Rochester location. And speaking of location, it may make good strategic sense for them to have a Northeastern location. Thus it might make sense for the R&S to purchase the line. Like any responsible business, the R&S would carefully investigate the line before making the purchase... assuming they are still interested in it. My source gave me the tip about the R&S a couple years ago.

As noted previously, the R&S isn't interested in the yard. Regardless of whether CSX actually sells the active segment to the R&S, it's pretty safe to assume the rails in the yard will be lifted at some point.
 #1432591  by clearblock

I just heard the NF Dispatcher say "the Charlotte" was recently changed to "other than main track"

This implies it was Rule 94 before and is now Rule 96, restricted speed, not under Dispatcher authority.
 #1432658  by RailKevin

Wasn't this line downgraded to "Industrial Track" (or some equivalent) a few years ago?
 #1434638  by Gyro

Saw a 10 box car freight headed "N' across Dewey today. Funny thing, It had a caboose. Around 12:30 PM
 #1434643  by nessman

If the track north of the box shop is out of service, they proabably need the caboose now for the shove back to either the sidings at Kodak or Rochester Yard as they can no longer run the engine around the train in Charlotte.
 #1434761  by charlie6017

Gyro wrote:Saw a 10 box car freight headed "N' across Dewey today. Funny thing, It had a caboose. Around 12:30 PM
They have been using the caboose for some time now. Like Les mentioned, that's a necessity now that the track north
of the box shop is OOS. Saw them shoving south over the McCall Road crossing around a month ago. No camera with me
of course. 🙄

Charlie
 #1434764  by BR&P

Got it covered. Northbound train, with caboose, crossing Dewey Ave. Here you go!
NYC 19072 Barnards NY Northbound.jpg
NYC 19072 Barnards NY Northbound.jpg (57.34 KiB) Viewed 7779 times
 #1434768  by charlie6017

BR&P wrote:Got it covered. Northbound train, with caboose, crossing Dewey Ave. Here you go!
NYC 19072 Barnards NY Northbound.jpg
Great shot, those wooden hacks were truly a thing of beauty!

Charlie
 #1434770  by BR&P

charlie6017 wrote: Great shot, those wooden hacks were truly a thing of beauty!

Charlie
Charlie, NYC had between 2,000 and 3,000 of those. As near as I can determine, the 19877 at Rochester & Genesee Valley RR Museum is the ONLY survivor which still has shiny wheels. Lots on static display, but I believe that's the only one still rolling.
 #1434801  by Matt Langworthy

Is a caboose required by federal regulation for a shove move or is it just a CSX policy? I'm asking because I've see the LA&L, FGLK and the O&H all do shove moves of a mile or more without a caboose.
 #1434821  by BR&P

Is a caboose required by federal regulation for a shove move or is it just a CSX policy? I'm asking because I've see the LA&L, FGLK and the O&H all do shove moves of a mile or more without a caboose.
Matt, I'd say the second part of your post answers the first. Image