Railroad Forums 

• CSX Charlotte Runner

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1430611  by CPSmith

In searching for Yates Dock related photos (the other thread...), I've come across a lot of neat stuff. For one thing, most of the photos (I've been through over 6,000 so far) are old enough to pre-date the building of the dam at Mt. Morris. Sure did flood a lot back in the day...

A good number of photos span the use of the canal through the city, the de-watering of the canal and subsequent rebuilding of the bed for the subway, the operation of the subway itself, and its demise and rebuilding (again) as the Eastern Expressway (now 490).

The attached is part of the de-watering effort. The view is from the Lexington Ave. bridge over the canal looking to the northwest. The bridge in the foreground is today's runner. The B&O belt is the bridge to the rear. What struck me as somewhat remarkable is the structure to the left (obviously built in the early canal era) remains today as the Straight Home Inn Pizzeria and Bar & Grille.

Except for prohibition (and who knows...), the place has been serving beer for over 100 years.
 #1430612  by BR&P

How things have changed! (except for the bar!). What's the date on that one?
 #1430615  by BR&P

CPSmith wrote:No date, but I'm guessing early '20s. Barge canal construction started in 1918.
Thanks!

CPS, you may remember my maroon Corvair. I still recall taking it across that NYC bridge where the second track had been, bumping along the timbers and hoping they were not TOTALLY rotten yet! Image
 #1430616  by RailKevin

The "new" dam is curious. Looks like the canal beyond the bridges still has water in it.

That bar is a place where my dad and his friends from Rochester Products hung out. Sometimes us kids would go along with him for a few hours (1970s--can't do that today). I remember playing the bowling game that uses a puck-like thing to make the pins go up.
 #1430617  by BR&P

RailKevin wrote: I remember playing the bowling game that uses a puck-like thing to make the pins go up.
I know exactly the type you are talking about!
 #1430630  by Gyro

CPSmith wrote:In searching for Yates Dock related photos (the other thread...), I've come across a lot of neat stuff. For one thing, most of the photos (I've been through over 6,000 so far) are old enough to pre-date the building of the dam at Mt. Morris. Sure did flood a lot back in the day...

A good number of photos span the use of the canal through the city, the de-watering of the canal and subsequent rebuilding of the bed for the subway, the operation of the subway itself, and its demise and rebuilding (again) as the Eastern Expressway (now 490).

The attached is part of the de-watering effort. The view is from the Lexington Ave. bridge over the canal looking to the northwest. The bridge in the foreground is today's runner. The B&O belt is the bridge to the rear. What struck me as somewhat remarkable is the structure to the left (obviously built in the early canal era) remains today as the Straight Home Inn Pizzeria and Bar & Grille.

Except for prohibition (and who knows...), the place has been serving beer for over 100 years.
I seem to remember there was a holdup and killing there in the late seventies or early eighties. My father worked at RP at the time.
 #1430633  by BR&P

I seem to remember there was a holdup and killing there in the late seventies or early eighties. My father worked at RP at the time.
I don't remember specifics but you are correct, something of the sort did happen there.

That area offered 3 rail lines back then, the B&O Belt line, usually with EMD switchers, the NYC Belt Line or Charlotte Branch, with RS-1's, and the Subway down below with an NYC Alco switcher. Obviously as the years passed, that all gradually changed.
 #1430777  by RailKevin

During the 1970s, I remember seeing a single track down in the subway from the Lexington Ave bridge (and a lot of weeds). IIRC, that track served GM's Rochester Products plant (and maybe American Packaging). Does anyone know when the new track from the B&O was installed, and when the subway terminated service at this end?
 #1430848  by BR&P

Scot, that's amazing, and sad to see. From canal to subway to industrial track to nothing.

Thanks for posting.
 #1430865  by sd80mac

RailKevin wrote:The "new" dam is curious. Looks like the canal beyond the bridges still has water in it.
mini Mt. Morris dam...
 #1430965  by lvrr325

If you adjust that street view to be on the end of Curlew Street, you get Nov. 2015 views catching a train on the bridge over Lexington Ave.
 #1431016  by Gyro

Another bit of trivia of the modern day picture. To the right of the pizza shop is a group of building called the Riverside Group. In the early eighties a band call 'Eternity' practiced there. Some may remember them playing at the 'Playpen'. Later known as John, Paul, Age and Section 8.
 #1431237  by CPSmith

More info on the "mini-dam" photo. Apparently taken in 1910. The temporary dam was probably used to permit repairs, whatever, in the next section.

The building is identified as the "Hotel Lexington".