Railroad Forums 

• CSX Charlotte Runner

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1436989  by Gyro

Caught the return yesterday. Around 1pm, guy hanging off the end boxcar. Two cars, two engines. Pictures so so.

#1449474  by clearblock

I just heard from a retired employee that Kodak Park is about to receive their final coal shipment with the total conversion of the power plant to natural gas imminent.

It has been a few years since I saw a Kodak coal train so I am not sure if the coal now arrives by CSX or NS/R&S?

Is Kodak shipping or receiving any other goods by rail now? Is there any business other than the Box Shop left on the Runner?
 #1449586  by Matt Langworthy

Last I knew, Kodak was getting their coal via CSX. There is very little coal traffic on NS in NY now.

The box shop is the sole customer on the Charlotte Runner north of Eastman Business Park (the new name for Kodak Park). Kodak still ships via rail, and they do tout rail service as a benefit to the tenants they are recruiting for EBP. Some of those tenants are taking advantage of rail, so the R&S is still running their local to EBP on a regular basis.
 #1449592  by BR&P

Is there any business out the former Falls Road, or at Otis? I could see everything from Lyell Ave north getting the ax. If there's nothing at Otis, they could shorten the Buffalo Wye up to meet just north of Maple, and tear out from Jay Street on.

For that matter, how badly do they need the wye?
 #1449670  by nessman

Can't imagine much rail traffic for Kodak Park once the coal shipments stop.

My understanding is the natural gas conversion should be done by the end of the year.

End of an era.
 #1449684  by Matt Langworthy

I don't know if Klein Steel is still getting rail shipments on the Falls Road. There are no customers for CSX on the Charlotte Runner between Lyell Ave and Eastman Business Park. It would not surprise me if CSX axed the line. The remaining traffic to EBP could be handled by the Rochester & Southern.
 #1450520  by Otto Vondrak

Kodak Park, Ridge Road, Nov. 14, 2017
Kodak Park, Ridge Road, Nov. 14, 2017
CSX-Coal-Kodak-Nov2017_omv.jpg (103.35 KiB) Viewed 8132 times
While running errands, I caught the Kodak coal train on the Charlotte Runner at Lyell Ave, Emerson St., and Ridge Road. I am told one more coal shipment could be expected by the end of the month as a stockpile supply before Kodak switches over to natural gas for firing the boilers at the power plant.

-otto-
 #1450576  by Benjamin Maggi

The end of an era. I remember my father bringing me here to watch for coal trains, and the massive piles of coal Kodak had lying around.
 #1453507  by Conrail6467

CSX Snowblower spotted by me at Ridgeway Avenue at about 6:45PM.
 #1477834  by Conrail6467

Followed the Local all the way from Goodman Street to the Box Shop off of Boxart. Quite the trip. The crew was fantastic and very enthusiastic about me documenting their trip for them! Pics are in an album in the link below. I love that old NYC Searchlight still burning yellow, warning of a red signal at CP373. https://flic.kr/s/aHsmo8wWtX
 #1487427  by ACM

Took this a few weeks ago at West Avenue. Looks like they're removing rails and track. From one of the yards in Charlotte?
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 6062 times
Last edited by ACM on Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #1487428  by ACM

Another one.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 6063 times
 #1488301  by RailKevin

There is a lot of rail laid along the West Shore ROW. Also, the rail across the Genesee River bridge was just replaced (and the crossing at East River Road).