Railroad Forums 

• 1974 NYSDOT abandoned railroad inventory

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#504984  by avonrailfan62

The poster who referred to the NYC "Peanut Line" crew letting the locomotive cross the trestle (between Holcomb and Canandaigua) un-manned sounds very familiar to the situation on a trestle on the LV between the Rochester Junction and Lima which was in very poor condition in the final years. All but one of the LV crew would get out of the locomotive, cross to the opposite side of this trestle, and let the locomotive cross un-manned out of fear of collapse. Then again it was reported that most of the tracks between Rochester Junction and Lima were in the mud prior to abandonment by Conrail. Interesting to note that as I recall the LA&L showed interest in purchasing the LV line from Lehigh Station Rd. in Henrietta to Lima.

#505045  by RussNelson

After doing three of the ten regions, I've decided not to bother preserving the original format of the inventory. My intuition is that it was done that way using the technology of the time. Now we have better ways of presenting these things, so I'm going to reformat liberally. Fred's words will remain sacrosanct, of course. Although ... I can't help but correct his speling! Forgive me, Fred!

#505047  by Otto Vondrak

Russ, I agree regarding the reformatting. The format of the documents seems to change from region to region... I think applying consistent reformatting will make the information easier to retrieve.

-otto-

#505063  by RussNelson

Yes, the inconsistent formatting makes me wonder if it was really Fred doing all those surveys. Plus, I found a "we" in one of the reports. It could have been a royal "we" as in "we here at the DOT", but from the context it sounds like he had a partner in crime accompanying him on the fieldwork.

WE

#505068  by henry6

WE. In older days, the editorial "we" often referred to one individual, usually the speaker or writer as a reflexive form. It often encompassed the individual as the front person or agent for a group, as "we mapped the region on Tuesday" actually meant, "I, as the surveyor for A,B & C Map Company, mapped the region on Tuesday." Age of information, and probably age of writer/speaker, has to be taken into consideration.

#506612  by RussNelson

Possibly, Henry, but each region of the reports has its own different style, so I do believe it's a literal, not figurative we. I've updated my page. I'm publishing the original PDF scans. I've gotten the words into good shape through Region 4. The format is still that of the inventory, although the tables are teh sux0r. http://russnelson.com/inventory/ I've got a link to this thread at the bottom of the page.

Does anybody know who drew the drawing on the cover of each region? Unfortunately, the New York State Library vandalized (I can't think of a better word) the drawing on each and every region's cover. A bit of work with the Gimp image editor cleaned it up reasonably.

#516802  by RussNelson

I'm experimenting with getting the Inventory back in print. I'm starting with Region 8 because I promised Mike Kudish a print copy.
http://www.lulu.com/content/2236031
If you're desperate for a copy, feel free to order one. I haven't reviewed the physical copy to see how it looks, so you might want to wait a week for my copy to arrive. I'll tell y'all how it looks.
 #836460  by RedLantern

avonrailfan62 wrote:The poster who referred to the NYC "Peanut Line" crew letting the locomotive cross the trestle (between Holcomb and Canandaigua) un-manned sounds very familiar to the situation on a trestle on the LV between the Rochester Junction and Lima which was in very poor condition in the final years. All but one of the LV crew would get out of the locomotive, cross to the opposite side of this trestle, and let the locomotive cross un-manned out of fear of collapse. Then again it was reported that most of the tracks between Rochester Junction and Lima were in the mud prior to abandonment by Conrail. Interesting to note that as I recall the LA&L showed interest in purchasing the LV line from Lehigh Station Rd. in Henrietta to Lima.
If they ever opened the throttle a little to far and didn't get back on in time, I wonder what the excuse would've been as to why their train is running with the crew wandering down the tracks a few miles back?