Railroad Forums 

• Railroads near or in sight of the NYS Thruway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#604879  by Hauspiper

The real cool area is where the New York Thruway, New York State Barge Cannal (Mowhawk River/erie cannal) , and CSX is the same valley it is awesome. this makes locking my ship fun watching the freight trains go by or Amtrak giving us a salute and us back. My company is the largest comerical fleet on the system with 3 small cruise ships.
 #749466  by RussNelson

eehiv wrote:We recently reopened our line to just past the NY State Thruway:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/s/?p=158151

This is at MP 90.7 on the Thruway, just south of Exit 19.

Ernie Hunt
CMRR
Then pretty clearly we need to modify this entry:
41.940529,-74.034893,UnD,ug,south of 19
to read:
41.940529,-74.034893,UnD,ug,south of 19,90.7,active,CMRR
Well done!
 #759231  by Donko142

Could anyone tell me anything about the ROW ( thinks rails are gone ) that goes under RT87 between MP 53 and 54. ( South of the Rt 84 exit on 87. It's somewhere between Exits 16 and 18 ) I notice the ROW on my weekly trips up, this time of year it's easy to see. Was this a branch or siding off of what main ? NYC ??
 #759577  by Marty Feldner

A quick look at a map, and pulling the exit mile markers from the Thruway website (familiarity with the road also helps), it looks like the one you ask about is the former NYO&W.

There are three former rail crossings between Harriman (exit 16) and Newburgh (exit 17). South to north: the Erie's former Newburgh Shortcut at Mountainville (this one was 'at grade'- the rails were long gone when the Thruway was built; it passed the former Star Expansion plant on the east side); The NYO&W, on an overpass by East Cornwall, and the Erie's former Newburgh Branch (also an overpass) at Vail's Gate- just north of the Rt. 94 overpass.
 #759843  by Donko142

I thinks it's the second or third crossing the first (Erie) I know of that one. This crossing is not at grade. it appears the Thruway was built up in order to go over the tracks. Someone's got to know out there. Going North it's going to be just about MP 53.7 on the Thruway, it's easy to see this time of year. I never stopped but it appears there's a R.R.tunnel under the road.
 #759911  by Marty Feldner

I say again: the New York Ontario & Western.

The Thruway got an easement to build the overpass over the O&W in late 1953; the highway had to be raised to clear- the grade is most noticeable northbound. The overpass is between the O&W's Orr's Mill and Meadowbrook stations. Of course the O&W folded in March 1957 so the overpass became unused.
 #763919  by Donko142

Thanks Marty, you were 100% currect. When I went up this week I watched, 2/10th of a mile North of Orrs Mill Rd. Do you know about what year the rails were taken up ?
 #764696  by njmidland

Marty Feldner wrote:The O&W ceased operations in March 1957. By August of that year, scrappers started pulling rail. It didn't take long...
Marty,

I thought that section lasted a few years with the NYC providing service out of Cornwall until 1959 or so.
 #764828  by Marty Feldner

njmidland wrote:
Marty,

I thought that section lasted a few years with the NYC providing service out of Cornwall until 1959 or so.
Tim-

I thought that the NYC operation was only to the Firth Carpet Company- well east of the Orr's Mills' Trestle and the Thruway underpass. When did the trestle come down? I have it here somewhere- have to do some digging...
 #764847  by njmidland

Marty,

Somewhere in the past I saw a picture of an NYC diesel coming east from under the Thruway bridge. I don't know what the occasion was - I thought it was for Firth but obviously not - I wish I remember where I saw it.