Railroad Forums 

• Sightings around town

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1553487  by SST

Last week while traveling down the East Aurora Expressway [400] at night, I noticed what appeared to be a long stretch of MOW equipment on the B&P. I couldn't really see what was there but only saw a silhouette of the equipment. I assumed they were finally doing track repair up this way.

For many months I noticed bundles of new RR ties along the B&P along the track from the I-190 overpass west. A few days after seeing the MOW equipment along the 400 expressway and then crossing over the track on the 190, all the bundles were gone. I think there is a large pile of old ties near Babcock St. Not quite certain as I haven't driven in that area. Mission complete?

The Amtrak row on the Niagara Falls section has also completed track repair. As I rode my bike along the line there is a huge pile of used ties stacked along the ROW just south of the bike paths overpass. While standing on the overpass you can see which ties were replaced.

Nice to see up grades being done.

Now the sad part. Again while riding my bike, I was riding around the Ohio Street yard that services ADM and GM. I was saddened to see they pulled ALL the rails from the Ohio St overpass all the way to the sand pile. These set of tracks haven't been used in I don't know how long. Longer than I knew they existed. It just bugs me because for me, its another removal of our industrial history.

In regards to our industrial history, I was out in my boat last night and a ship came in to our south entrance. CSL Niagara. It was so cool to watch him swing around and then back into the former Bethlehem Steel plant. We also had one at GM and the third at LaFarge Cement. With those 3 ships here last night I thought how nice to see something like this instead of the ripped up tracks that will not likely ever return.