Railroad Forums 

• NY Existing Stations Update

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1549603  by nydepot

Just a note, I've been updating more counties with updated photos, replacing many that were from the late 1990s and early 2000s. Also updating other parts of the tables, like "Use" and changing over streets to latitude/longitude.

Of note from today's work, I wish they would restore the LV Cortland passenger depot. It's a really nice one.

Also the Syracuse, Binghamton & New York in Homer on Wall St is not long for the world if you want a photo for yourself.

http://ny.existingstations.com

Charles
 #1552399  by nydepot

Another round of updates with new photos and data.

Cattaraugus
Chautauqua
Allegany
Monroe

The Cassadaga (Chautauqua) depot of the New York Central, moved to Camp Gross north of Cassadaga, was a house and has been torn down and new building built on top of it. It was demolished and buried onsite. I talked to the owners.

The Erie Forrestville (Chautauqua) depot was cut in half. One half has been stabilized and the other half removed. It had been slated for demolition the last I heard.

http://ny.existingstations.com
 #1553380  by nydepot

Updated Niagara County with all new photos and data today. Also started Erie County.

Of note:

The International Railway depot in North Tonawanda is is rough shape now. It was a house. Now it's vacant.

Also, the NYC station in Model City is covered on all sides now with brush, buildings, and stored vehicles.

http://ny.existingstations.com/
 #1553386  by dj_paige

Interesting. I may have to go up to North Tonawanda and Model City and get my own photos. The Model City station would probably be better photographed when the leaves fall.

Regarding the International Railway station in North Tonawanda, it doesn't seem to be where the RR right of way is located, if I can believe my deciphering of aerial maps of the area, which I know sometimes is misleading; and the web site says it hasn't been moved. It also doesn't seem to be where the International Railroad is shown at OpenRailwayMap.org (it doesn't cross Felton Street), and it doesn't seem to be where the SPV Atlas shows the International Railway (again, I know SPV has many errors). Can anyone clarify this?
 #1553393  by nydepot

It very well could have been moved. It’s only based on what I’ve been told. With trolley stops, sometimes you don’t even get what the stop was, meaning it could have been moved from miles away.

If you can get more info, I’d certainly update it.
 #1553416  by dj_paige

According to the 1926 Official Guide, there was no International Railway stop in North Tonawanda at East Felton. Stops in NTon were Goundry St., Schenk St., Lockport Transfer Jct and Ward Road. The Ward Road crossing is not far from Felton or East Felton Streets.

The "Buffalo and Lockport Division" had a stop at Payne Avenue and another stop labelled "North Tonawanda".

Of course, there could have been a stop there prior to 1926, I don't have an earlier Official Guide.
 #1553446  by RailKevin

The site still lists the Lehigh Valley depot (Niagara County) as in use by Amtrak. I thought Amtrak moved to the new station off Main Street, Niagara Falls. Is this not correct?
 #1553453  by nydepot

While not in the photo, an Amtrak train was parked there, along the whole building. It could have been there for another reason. If it's not Amtrak anymore, that's an easy fix.
 #1553501  by 1Loran

Yes, the engine and coaches are backed up to the old station for cleaning and replenishment after the passengers depart at the new station.