Railroad Forums 

• PS&N Stony Brook Trestles

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1527851  by RailKevin

Firstly, anything by Arch Merrill is worth reading. Thank you for sharing this piece.

Secondly, I have not been to Stony Brook since I was a little boy. I remember the swimming pools fed by the creek (I don't think they use it anymore). I also remember taking a hike upstream and seeing stone bridge abutments in the gorge. I only recall one set of piers. Did I miss another set? If not, which bridge would they have belonged to?
 #1527857  by nydepot

My understanding is both sets are there but if you saw only one, you saw the 2nd bridge.

Also, I didn't realize the 1st bridge was wooden. Pictures of it look like metal.
 #1527919  by FarmallBob

Also, I didn't realize the 1st bridge was wooden. Pictures of it look like metal.
Both bridges were indeed metal as the photo indicates. Despite claims by some, no wooden bridge ever existed here.

First bridge was a spindly, cast iron top deck truss affair. 2nd was of more robust steel plate girder construction.
I also remember taking a hike upstream and seeing stone bridge abutments in the gorge. I only recall one set of piers. Did I miss another set? If not, which bridge would they have belonged to?
Piers from both bridges still exist on the gorge floor and up the banks. So also do the the abutments. On the west side a concrete abutment for the 2nd bridge is still plainly evident. The cut stone abutment from the first bridge however is somewhat hidden in the underbrush 40 or feet to the south.

Several photos of the first bridge and the remaining cut stone abutment are here:

https://bridgehunter.com/ny/steuben/old ... rook-glen/

...FB
 #1541384  by s4ny

I remember that article when it first appeared. I have pictures of the new bridge under construction next to the original bridge. The pics are dated 1907. The new and original bridge look quite similar.

The original Erie bridge at Portage was wood. Arch M must have been confused.