Railroad Forums 

• ebay slide

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1522109  by BR&P

Looking east from the LV overpass, Fallbrook to Lyons curves away to left. FGLK enginehouse is now about where the boxcar can be seen above the second unit.
 #1522113  by Clif

Yes it is Geneva, the double track to the left in the picture is the track that runs from Geneva to Lyons. The track the train is on is the track that runs through Auburn to Solvay the old NYC Auburn Road. The track going to the right, with a boxcar partly hidden behind a tree is a connection to the Leigh Valley. I am guessing the photographer stood on the LV bridge to take the image. The bridge is long gone but most of the track work still exists.

This google overhead view shows most of the close up part of the image;

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Genev ... -76.985557

If you do a close up on the white truck near the track switch to the NS Lyons branch, and look across the tracks you can still see the abutment of the old LV bridge. The second track to Lyons has been removed. The building just above the CN units still exists. The track the boxcar is on is the current FLRy branch to the old Seneca army Depot.

Looking closely at the consist the CN units are being trailed by a PC RS unit and green PC caboose. Above the caboose is a PC geep.

The image shows the current Finger Lakes yard office area, but missing is the current diesel house.
 #1522157  by CPSmith

The above posters are correct with one clarification. The track on the right with the boxcar is today's FGLK connection to the former LV line along the east side of the lake, but only because a section of the old LV embankment has been plowed away to enable the track under the boxcar to now loop around and connect to the former LV yard. That is clearly visible in today's Google Maps satellite view.

When this 1976 photo was taken, the connection between the LV and the NYC was along today's Rt. 5 & 20 on the south side of the LV embankment and would have been behind the photographer in this shot.

In 1976, the track under the boxcar was just a dead-end spur that led to (at least) what appears to be an electrical substation. Whether there were other customers back there or not, I don't know.
 #1522216  by lvrr325

That little building was the CR, PC yard office before Finger Lakes. Was in it a few times.

Why were the CN units in Geneva? on lease?
 #1522218  by Old & Weary

A few months after the Conrail startup, so many engines were out of service and back logged for shopping that CR leased a number of units from CN. If I remember correctly the number may have been 100 units. They were a frequent sight during the fall of 1976 and I was able to photograph them several times before they were returned via Buffalo. It would not be unusual to find them on the Fallbrook at that time but in this case they are on the Auburn Road. Possibly delivering some cars?
 #1522300  by TB Diamond

Photographed CN 4010 leading a 3-unit CN power consist at GY Tower in Geneva circa October 23, 1976.

My notes relate: CN power (leased) w/Tr #SC-5 at Geneva, NY dropping cars in ex-LV yds. & dropping power & caboose for local at service area. Sat, Oct 23, 76.

Info would have been from the GY operator who was an acquaintance.
 #1522304  by BR&P

TB Diamond wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:33 pm Photographed CN 4010 leading a 3-unit CN power consist at GY Tower in Geneva circa October 23, 1976.

My notes relate: CN power (leased) w/Tr #SC-5 at Geneva, NY dropping cars in ex-LV yds. & dropping power & caboose for local at service area. Sat, Oct 23, 76.

Info would have been from the GY operator who was an acquaintance.
Apparently the same move as what is shown in that photo. I'm a bit puzzled by the caboose. The power would be rotated in and out for servicing and inspections, but the local job at Geneva would keep the same caboose. It's possible that was power and caboose for a work train or an extra of some sort.
Clif wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:54 pm Above the caboose is a PC geep.
I believe that's actually an Alco, one of the 2000's.