Railroad Forums 

• Why did the Erie terminate at Dansville

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1521699  by Fireman43

Abbreviated subject heading but more specifically I've always been curious why the Dansville/Mt Morris then Erie terminated at Dansville. Ive searched around the forum with out luck. Actually I suppose the RR. was built back from Dansville to interchange with another line?

Although " down in the valley" was it ever proposed to expand?
Mark
 #1521708  by nydepot

Ruber's D&MM book explains they wanted to continue down the valley and connect with the Erie around Canaseraga. This would have resulted in several trestles in the Canaseraga-Poag's Hole area.

Charles
 #1521744  by pumpers

Maybe the surveyors for the RR didn't like what they saw when they got to the region just north of Canaserega (now known as Rattlesnake Hill Wildlife Management Area), and never got around to finishing their work.
 #1521765  by RailKevin

I am a little confused as I thought the Erie's electric line from Rochester ended at Mount Morris. Did it continue to Dansville on it's own ROW, or via trackage rights/purchase of DMM?
 #1521769  by Fireman43

I can imagine they decided good time to pack it in and go home “Nope can’t get there from here “
In regards to surveying I still can’t begin to fathom how surveys were done at that time. I was looking at a display at the Holland Land office museum in Batavia explaining how they used lengths of chains to pace off sections of land over valleys and hills - and how were pretty accurate.

But still ..........
Mark
 #1521786  by D Alex

For longer distance, surveying by then utilized the same sort of telescope-and-staff method common until newer electronic systems became available. Surveyors did essentially all of the western states 150 years ago this way, so something as simple as a railroad isn't a big deal. A "chain" is really just a unit of measurement; actual chains were only used in shorter measurements,
 #1521830  by scottychaos

RailKevin wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:48 pm I am a little confused as I thought the Erie's electric line from Rochester ended at Mount Morris. Did it continue to Dansville on it's own ROW, or via trackage rights/purchase of DMM?
No, and no.
The Erie electric line ended in Mount Morris, the Erie never extended to Dansville.

the DMM never extended south (or east, or west) from Dansville just because of geography, too steep to get up and over the hills.
North was the only realistic way in or out for a railroad.

Scot
 #1521832  by nydepot

I found my photocopy. Excuse the highlighting - my ninth grade self thought this was important to know. I guess it was :P

Proposed Access to Dansville.jpg
Proposed Access to Dansville.jpg (232 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
 #1521845  by Fireman43

Now we know !
Amazing what we save only to find out years later why we did . Have to get out my map Again to take a closer look at this proposed route.
 #1521859  by Fireman43

Scot,
I have liked following your web posting over the years but so many of the links on RR net appear to have been severed.

Is that a RRNET issue?

I see a common issue with so many other posters.
Mark
 #1521862  by scottychaos

Fireman43 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:28 pm Scot,
I have liked following your web posting over the years but so many of the links on RR net appear to have been severed.

Is that a RRNET issue?

I see a common issue with so many other posters.
Mark
Thanks to Mark's question, I just discovered that I do have some dead links on that page..
It's because I had to move all my webpages a few years ago, and I missed updating some links..
(I had to update many dozens, perhaps over a hundred links..)
Now that I know they are there, I will go and fix them! thanks for the heads-up! :)

The three links on the bottom of that page are bad, here are the correct links:

Continue on to page 2, Genesee & Wyoming
https://scotlawrence.github.io/GW/GWpage.html

Back to D&MM - G&W - R&S Survivors main page.
https://scotlawrence.github.io/GW/

return to Scot's main page
https://sites.google.com/site/scotlawrence/

thanks,
Scot
 #1521863  by Fireman43

I can read his post but what happens at bottom of this link try to go to his MAIN PAGE.

also reading threads a number of years years old on RRNET are broken.

Maybe me

I get all excited thinking ok here is my answer