Railroad Forums 

• Fisherville on the Lehigh Valley?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1521671  by BR&P

Google shows Fisherville as located in Big Flats, but that would have nothing to do with LV. Could it be an earlier name for Fishers, west of Victor?
 #1521709  by nydepot

I doubt that. I've heard plenty of stories of moving depots (Rochester Jct to Lima is one and West Nunda to Sonyea is another) but I doubt as far as Flemingville or Freeville.
 #1521962  by pumpers

Way back when, the LV went right through Horseheads down to Elmira , from their old Elmira Cortland & Northern RR . WIkipedia says LV bought it formally in 1896, but maybe they controlled it already by the 1894 date of the station move. Or the dates given aren't quite right. On the topo map I saw Fisherville is about 2 miles west of Horseheads, not between Elmira and Horseheads, but close enough.
Schlepping a station from Horseheads up to the main at Van Etten and out to Le Roy sounds like quite a project, but who knows.

Or more likely to me, the writer of the 1894 article mixed up Fishers and Fisherville.
 #1521968  by JRichter

According to Victor Town Historian Babette Huber, Fisherville station was located on the south side of the LV ROW west of Phillips Rd in Victor, NY. Local folks when to Mendon (west) or Victor Village (east) to catch the train. Station was moved by the railroad to Leroy (date unknown).
From the 1950-1980s, a family friend owned the property that backed up to the station site. They would pile rock, brush, etc around the old stone foundation that remained.
 #1521981  by nydepot

Now you can tell Ms Huber the date.
JRichter wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:49 am According to Victor Town Historian Babette Huber, Fisherville station was located on the south side of the LV ROW west of Phillips Rd in Victor, NY. Local folks when to Mendon (west) or Victor Village (east) to catch the train. Station was moved by the railroad to Leroy (date unknown).
From the 1950-1980s, a family friend owned the property that backed up to the station site. They would pile rock, brush, etc around the old stone foundation that remained.
 #1522072  by CPSmith

pumpers wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:56 pm Well that makes a lot of sense.

By the way, Google Maps shows a "Fischers Station Dr" https://goo.gl/maps/4DX6ijHg6tmkYZZdA
But it is not near any obvious RR lines. And the road seems quite new, or at least all the buildings around it look that way.
Fishers Station Drive (as it says on the road sign, not [perhaps] on Google), refers to the R&E, which crossed north to south over Main St. - nothing to do with either the NYC or LV in Fishers.
 #1522121  by pumpers

Ah, didn't know about the R&E. Looking at modern topo maps, you can see where the R&E ran by all the cuts and fills, mostly up north of the thruway but also further south, such as around Main St. If looks like Fisher St'n Drive was built on the old R&E RoW.
 #1522161  by CPSmith

... and if you go for a nice fall hike to justify that second helping of pumpkin pie, you might see this - one of the few leftovers of the R&E:
Attachments:
0722121606a.jpg
0722121606a.jpg (454.22 KiB) Viewed 1977 times