Railroad Forums 

• NY&LE caboose?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1519119  by nydepot

Can anyone confirm if the New York & Lake Erie had any other caboose besides 19602 (former NYC)? That's the only caboose I've seen rostered by them, which was circa mid-1980s. Thanks.
 #1519130  by BR&P

Charles, that NYC 19602 is - I believe - owned by WNY RR HS. Not sure whether NYLE actually owned it or if they were just storing it. Last I knew it was at Hamburg. I was vaguely thinking there was a former PRR steel cabin stored at Gowanda but not sure.
 #1519132  by nydepot

Don - you're always making me prove everything :wink:

I agree on WNYRRHS ownership (see stencil) but it was lettered and used during excursions.

Caboose-NYLE19602.jpg
Caboose-NYLE19602.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 1364 times
 #1519175  by RMB357

I remember Fran Latest had one down there in the mid 1980s that he owned...if I remember it was an ex Erie caboose but I don't recall the number
 #1519273  by BR&P

Charles, you did say "rostered" rather than "owned" so I'll pay this one. Altho I should get at least partial credit for getting the WNYRRHS correct! :-D

FWIW that caboose was in the shop at Frontier on 12-17-66, coupled to the NYC 19547 caboose. At that time it still had the cupola.