Railroad Forums 

• 2019 Fall Train Show Listing

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1528290  by lvrr325

Tiger Tracks was slow, sales maybe 20% below average (average over previous 8 shows). They announced an attendance of 2500 or so. I searched through my old posts here to compare; my post about 4400 in 2016 (appears to be the record), about 3400 in 2015, 3327 per Otto Vondrak for 2014. I don't see a 2013 number but Otto noted 2014 was "up significantly" from it. For whatever reason I don't see figures for 2017 or 2018, either.

I'm somewhat curious how they advertised beyond flyers and RR magazine ads, or just what changed, because that's down quite a bit. I guess I should be glad I sold what I did. If I think of it maybe I'll compare the numbers to my book and see if the lower ones match up to the lower sales.

About four dealers appeared to be no-shows, and it also looked like the first island of tables was around 6 tables shorter than usual. A couple of dealers I've bought from were not present. Seemed like more toy guys than before too. I saw one guy who used to sell there, just walking around the one afternoon; one regular group from Syracuse I did not see come. I did not see flyers for either the Horseheads show I forgot to post in the 2020 thread or the Rails Along the Mohawk show. I did see a number of events already have their fall 2020 dates set though.

For me that's a wrap for the season. We do have Broadway Market's little show left plus the other one up the road, no idea how those will be. The Market show is just a little thing to promote the place, maybe half a dozen guys set up and the tables are really cheap for them. If you went to RIT you saw most if not all of them there. If somebody goes, feel free to tell us how either one was.
 #1528311  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:37 am
... it also looked like the first island of tables was around 6 tables shorter than usual. A couple of dealers I've bought from were not present. Seemed like more toy guys than before too. I saw one guy who used to sell there, just walking around the one afternoon; one regular group from Syracuse I did not see come.
Everything rises in price over time (gasoline currently being an exception). RIT tables are now $50.00 That may be fine for well-established vendors - the "pros" - but for some casual hobbyist looking to thin the herd or get rid of old collectibles, that's just not worth it. I'm sure the costs involved in putting on the show also rise so that's not a knock on the group for the higher price, just saying you have to have a sufficient volume, and have stuff people are wanting to buy.

Was talking with a friend and he was of the opinion that a tax ID number is required to get a table now. I don't recall that it used to be that way. If so, it's another obstacle to the casual seller who just wants to pick up some pocket money and spend a couple days talking to folks. But I guess we have to contribute to King Andrew's coffers in every way possible.
 #1528405  by lvrr325

I don't recall if they asked for mine or not. But they're no big deal for this kind of stuff, file once a year and send them a few bucks and they're happy.

I believe the table price is connected to the cost of using the facility; everyone seems to believe that even though they're a college group they have to pay to use that building for events the same as anyone else would. I jokingly suggested they see if they can move it to the Dome. At least the parking would be better. No more metal detectors either.