Railroad Forums 

• West Shore Frankfort-Clark Mills (video)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1510634  by CPSmith

Absolutely fascinating video. Mesmerizing. Someone obviously put a lot of effort into it. The captions really make it. Didn't mind the sound, either! Now, can we convince them to do the Peanut? LV? One can only hope ...

I've compared your videos of NYS&W operations with the above, with Google Maps, and with my 1947 topo map and this is what I infer:

At the 20:05 mark, that's the DL&W going from "left" to "right" with a switch to the West Shore.
At the 20:27 mark, that's the Black Cat Bar & Grille with a number of suspiciously "Bill the Cat" like silhouettes. Good place to watch trains, I presume, although you might have to wait a while ...
At the 21:05 mark, that's the NYO&W heading off to the left, and lastly ...
At the 21:21 mark, that's the lead off to New York Mills.

How'd I do?

Question: my topo maps do not show a RR associated with the lead to NY Mills. Who originally owned/operated it?

Thanks for sharing the video!

#1510711  by ut-1

Ok, CP Smith, here goes:

1. Yes, at 20:05 that's the former DL&W (now NYS&W of course);

2. Yes, at 20:27 the building to the left is the Black Cat, the building to the right is the former K&K Trains & Hobby (where my brother was mgr for many years);

3. Yes, at 21:05 that is the beginning of the remaining Utica Division O&W trackage; and

4. Yes, at about 21:25 is where the West Shore's NY Mills spur came off the West Shore main. It's all West Shore from the DL&W to the O&W then beyond to NY Mills. As you may know, there used to be a West Shore/O&W diamond there but that was removed in the early 70's. A big section of O&W tracks from the diamond, crossing French Rd, then down to approximately the old Scheidelman's Warehouse along Utica's Arterial (Rts 5, 8 & 12) were then lifted.
 #1510914  by Old & Weary

A really fascinating video of a complete trip from Frankfort to to Clark Mills through Utica "as the crow flies". The West Shore right of way, clearly visible from the air through Utica, would be difficult or impossible to appreciate from the ground. There are lot's of labels for cross roads and buildings, but as pointed out above, the video would benefit from labeling other rail line crossings and connections. Hope there are others to come.
 #1510985  by trainsinmaine

I don't even know the Utica area all that well, but I watched this whole thing in short segments as time allowed and found it absolutely fascinating. The cloudless day and the gorgeous countryside made the "ride" very compelling. Thoroughly enjoyable, and very interesting!