Railroad Forums 

• RR Station Altitudes list A-Z

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1489878  by SST

While going through a recently acquired RR autobiography from 1899, I was trying to find some of the railroads he mentioned. Tough to find. But while looking around I came across a list of RR station altitudes which includes the station/City, RR company operating there and the altitude of the station/city. Buffalo has several stations listed and there are cities/towns that I never knew existed in NY. Other states are included as well. It also has a list of RR's which I assume many have disappeared. Unfortunately, one of the RR's that is mentioned in the book is not on the list. Anybody know who C.K.& Q. was back in the late 1800's?

https://books.google.com/books?id=CN8mu ... RR&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1489885  by SST

I didn't want to get "spanked" for putting it in the wrong place but it was originally posted in the Books section. So, I'll paste the address here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=168584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Short description, a RR employee writes about his being a Telegrapher up to Dispatcher. I've only read half the book so far to stretch it out. My book is an original publication. Not a rewrite. Love it to pieces!
 #1489906  by BR&P

SST wrote:I didn't want to get "spanked" for putting it in the wrong place but it was originally posted in the Books section. So, I'll paste the address here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=168584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Short description, a RR employee writes about his being a Telegrapher up to Dispatcher. I've only read half the book so far to stretch it out. My book is an original publication. Not a rewrite. Love it to pieces!
I don't think it's considered cross-posting if someone asks you a direct question. If the admins give you any flack, blame me! :-D

Thanks - that type of book is my favorite type of reading but I don't have that one yet. And I'll save further comments for that "Books" forum. :wink:
 #1489912  by SST

nydepot wrote:What area was the CKQ in? I can look tonight in one of the books I have.
I'm pretty sure its the mid-west. He refers to different locations anywhere from Texas north to Nebraska.

I love these kinda books too. I've been reading WWII books for a long time. Most of the books authors are using other books to write theirs. Which is fine as I've read some great books. But over the past year, I've been trying to find books written by the person who was there. One book actually led to a website that translated German soldiers letters to home while on the Eastern Front.

I want to switch from the "sport announcer" who tells me what the players are doing to the player themselves.
 #1489968  by tree68

Interesting seeing the railroads listed for a number of stations - and a number of stations not even listed because of the date of the list.
 #1490065  by SST

Another RR he mentions is the P.Q. & X. Railroad as copied from the book. He mentions a dingy town called Alfredo. He doesn't specify what state its in but says, "between Kansas and Colorado." He also mentions the Overland Flyer operates on this line and train robbers are trying to stop it. Discussion of the Overland on page 85 showed up here: https://books.google.com/books?id=yuCjr ... er&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But then he spells Dispatcher as "Despatcher." So.....who knows.