Railroad Forums 

• UP 1943 and Biz train is coming 9/22

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1486751  by sd80mac

Wayside wrote:I just saw a post on facebook that said they were posing for photos on the bridge for some reason.

PR.... They did the same at French Hollow Falls bridge.
 #1486799  by BR&P

Wayside wrote:I just saw a post on facebook that said they were posing for photos on the bridge for some reason.
The shape of things to come. Fast forward 5 or 6 years and that UP power will be common everyday stuff there. :P
 #1486850  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:
The shape of things to come. Fast forward 5 or 6 years and that UP power will be common everyday stuff there. :P
I'm thinking of same thing... but hoping for BNSF to swallow CSX... tired of seeing armor yellow...
 #1486864  by Matt Langworthy

If BNSF mergers with CSX, you'll see alot more armor yellow in NY anyway... because that would force a UP/NS merger.

IMO, I doubt we'll see a merger in the near future because the management of both UP and BNSF expressed opposition to any further consolidation when Hunter Harrison proposed a CP/NS merger a few years back. Both UP and BNSF interchange extensively with CSX and NS. Merging these 4 Class 1s into 2 Class 1s would reduce the potential route combinations, because the merged RRs would be reluctant to short-haul themselves. The lack of competition would certainly raise a protest from major shippers like UPS, FedEx, EMP and JB Hunt.

Second, as I understand things, UP wanted to inspect CSX because the latter has not been as efficient as it was under CEO Michael Ward. A good example is L090/L091. Those trains used to run on a very tight schedule, but now they're all over the place timewise. UP made a smart move checking up on CSX. Hopefully, this will result in better operations on CSX.

Third, the same UP OCS operated on NS during the summer and (surprise!) there was no merger afterward.

Getting back to the OT, it was nice to see the UP OCS in Hamburg on Friday. The lighting (due to a combination of late day sun and clearing after a strong squall) set up some dramatic shots at Bayview Rd.
 #1486969  by sd80mac

That's ok, as long it's running on Southern tier... :-D

you cant trust mgt... They would say that... but later on, one of them hit other's below the belt for shock and awe...

yeah, Q090 was downgrade from HOTTEST train to just regular manifest. I don't know if that is only apply to CSX or whole route from west coast to rottendam.. I was out of touch with CSX operation for almost 2 and half years owing to working in L.I. Now I'm back to my home area and is re-learning. As I understand that this UP visit has to do with increase # of train from 2/week to 5/week. I have not heard anything about checking out CSX operation on 090.

UP's earlier visit in May has nothing with NS. They want to get to visit Harriman's home and take his family out for UP's b-day dinner...

Yeah... I loved a lot of these pictures and I'm glad that they got great pictures from Buffalo to Albany and back... Nothing went well for me - full of bad lucks at wrong time... Cant win everything. All it matters that I GET TO see awesome locomotive and passenger cars. This would be 4th time, if not 5th time I had seen them. Republican Convention at Philly and Boston. I want to say there was 3rd one, at NYC? I cant remember... and my first one was at FT worth as I just happened to saw it unexpected in the distance... I was driving on I35 South toward to Ft. Worth and Bright yellow thing was snaking through neighbor. It instantly stuck me that was Biz... I floored the pedal to catch it. If it was CR OCS or BNSF biz (I understand that Western call them BIZ instead of OCS) I would NOT able to see that... so Thanks for the bright yellow paint in the distance...
Matt Langworthy wrote:If BNSF mergers with CSX, you'll see alot more armor yellow in NY anyway... because that would force a UP/NS merger.

IMO, I doubt we'll see a merger in the near future because the management of both UP and BNSF expressed opposition to any further consolidation when Hunter Harrison proposed a CP/NS merger a few years back. Both UP and BNSF interchange extensively with CSX and NS. Merging these 4 Class 1s into 2 Class 1s would reduce the potential route combinations, because the merged RRs would be reluctant to short-haul themselves. The lack of competition would certainly raise a protest from major shippers like UPS, FedEx, EMP and JB Hunt.

Second, as I understand things, UP wanted to inspect CSX because the latter has not been as efficient as it was under CEO Michael Ward. A good example is L090/L091. Those trains used to run on a very tight schedule, but now they're all over the place timewise. UP made a smart move checking up on CSX. Hopefully, this will result in better operations on CSX.

Third, the same UP OCS operated on NS during the summer and (surprise!) there was no merger afterward.

Getting back to the OT, it was nice to see the UP OCS in Hamburg on Friday. The lighting (due to a combination of late day sun and clearing after a strong squall) set up some dramatic shots at Bayview Rd.
 #1487293  by Wayside

Yes, I agree that a new round of mergers is not a high liklihood -- but the entire situation has evolved substantially since UP management last spoke about the subject. First off, UP's financial situation is quite different (hence Fritz et al adopting a somewhat radical operating plan in hopes of pleasing the Street in the short term), and secondly, the regulatory environment is crazy different now, wherein one might expect large corporations (who exhibit the correct loyalties) to gain relatively painless approval of merger plans. We are, after all, living in "interesting times" in many respects. At any rate, I would expect the cooler heads of BNSF/Berkshire (insulated as they are from quarterly analyst meddling) to not be the first to take the plunge.

And back to OT, it's kind of cool to see varnish from my last railroad employer encroaching on territory from my first (PC), and posing for pictures on a bridge I explored as a kid growing up.