Railroad Forums 

• End of Kodak Coal - March 2018

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1465065  by nydepot

http://13wham.com/news/local/eastman-bu ... -with-coal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) -- Rochester's Eastman Business Park is marking the end of its coal-fired era. The large western New York industrial site is transitioning to cleaner natural gas-burning boilers. On Tuesday, the site formerly known as Kodak Park will mark the last cart of coal that will be used to power its on-site power plant. The new gas-fired plant will produce electricity, steam and chilled water more efficiently.
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: added fair use quote
 #1465072  by Otto Vondrak

Last coal car CSXT 837158 was unloaded on March 13, 2018, with ex-Kodak Park MP15 No. 10 doing the honors.

-otto-
Attachments:
Last Kodak Coal
Last Kodak Coal
last-kodak-coal-3.jpg (195.42 KiB) Viewed 5084 times
Last Kodak Coal
Last Kodak Coal
last-kodak-coal-2.jpg (221.36 KiB) Viewed 5084 times
Last Kodak Coal
Last Kodak Coal
last-kodak-coal-1.jpg (178.17 KiB) Viewed 5084 times
 #1465301  by D Alex

Benjamin Maggi wrote:How depressing. Truly the end of an era. I remember as a kid going to see the mountains of coal brought in by train.
And I remember sitting at the crossing on W. Ridge rd, as the train slowly backed in.....and out......and in.....and out.....
 #1465998  by Flat-Wheeler

I worked in that power plant in the mid '90's. Used to have to wash down (sluice) the cinders from inside the boilers every 6 hours. Could step outside and watch the coal cars unload on my break. Depressing for sure. :(
After all that work, I've been ruined here by unemployment in the South, and am less fortunate than I was as a youngster in high school or college. Mortgage company is about to take our home & make me homeless in Alabama because I can even get a job with a Walmart or Home Depot. Engineering professionals are considered overqualified, or not paid enough to employ in retail. Screwed up ! :(
 #1466017  by BR&P

Flat-Wheeler wrote: After all that work, I've been ruined here by unemployment in the South, and am less fortunate than I was as a youngster in high school or college. Mortgage company is about to take our home & make me homeless in Alabama because I can even get a job with a Walmart or Home Depot. Engineering professionals are considered overqualified, or not paid enough to employ in retail. Screwed up ! :(
Sorry to hear that! Three options come to mind: 1) lie on the application to make yourself seem less educated and less over-qualified, 2) Start your own business, or 3) move to greener pastures where your knowledge is in demand. Good luck whatever you choose, hope you land on your feet! Image
 #1466066  by Scott K

Flat-Wheeler wrote:After all that work, I've been ruined here by unemployment in the South, and am less fortunate than I was as a youngster in high school or college. Mortgage company is about to take our home & make me homeless in Alabama because I can even get a job with a Walmart or Home Depot. Engineering professionals are considered overqualified, or not paid enough to employ in retail. Screwed up ! :(
Ouch! While I wont bore you with the details, that sounds too much like what's happening to me as well. I do have a job of sorts, but the income is minimal. I wish you good luck as well.
 #1466241  by turntable01

I took this photo from the pedestrian bridge over the mainline on March 15, 2018. Crew is getting ready to take a hefty string of empty hoppers out of Rochester. No doubt CSX and NS will be scrapping the rolling stock as it becomes surplus. http://bluegrass-express.rrpicturearchi ... id=4919817 I plan to leave the area for greener pastures myself.
 #1466405  by Barnard Crossing

turntable01 wrote:I took this photo from the pedestrian bridge over the mainline on March 15, 2018. Crew is getting ready to take a hefty string of empty hoppers out of Rochester. No doubt CSX and NS will be scrapping the rolling stock as it becomes surplus. http://bluegrass-express.rrpicturearchi ... id=4919817 I plan to leave the area for greener pastures myself.

Great shot. My dad used to take nice pics along the mainline.

I have lots of memories of the kabuki dance B&O, Chessie System, and Kodak's railroad had to do through the years at the crossing at West Ridge. Grew up near there, and I was on a softball team with KPAA at the field behind the gas station, near Kodak's paper mill.

Right near there, by the tracks and over to Dewey Ave., there was the ever-present smell of the chemical plant, gelatin, emulsifiers, etc.
 #1466410  by D Alex

Barnard Crossing wrote:...... there was the ever-present smell of the chemical plant, gelatin, emulsifiers, etc.
Back in the early 80's, I used to work at a place on Lake across from Kodak Park. I often worked weekends, and can remember the smells, especially the "friday smell" and the "saturday smell".....
 #1466417  by BR&P

Barnard Crossing wrote: I have lots of memories of the kabuki dance B&O, Chessie System, and Kodak's railroad had to do through the years at the crossing at West Ridge.
Always a challenge. IIRC Kodak had a ban on moves into the plant during rush hour. NYC's First Belt always managed to arrive during that time, so there was nothing else to do but go over to the diner for breakfast.

All sorts of bone-headed motorists encountered there. I recall a B&O unit train pulling north with a westbound funeral coming along on Ridge Road. The motorcycle cop (and for some reason I seem to recall it was an actual cop, but could be wrong) halted the procession and sat there a safe distance from the Kodak lead - except he was stopped right on the B&O main, which was where the train was! The engineer was doing chin-ups on the whistle cord, and finally the guy gunned it and avoided becoming a nose ornament on the F-7. And then he circled back around and asked the brakeman if the engineer was a wise guy!! Image

Another time about 2AM the Second Belt was shoving a cut of cars south, and the brakeman was out there with a couple fusees to reinforce the warning of the lights. (Both these deals were before gates were installed.) Some moron in a convertible came sailing along just before the train blocked the crossing, almost running down the crewman in the process. The startled - and pissed off - brakeman neatly pivoted out of the way and plunked one of his lit fusees right in the back seat. The car continued west on Ridge Road, and for as far as they could see it the drunk never slowed down. Image
 #1466425  by charlie6017

BR&P wrote:
Barnard Crossing wrote: I have lots of memories of the kabuki dance B&O, Chessie System, and Kodak's railroad had to do through the years at the crossing at West Ridge.
Always a challenge. IIRC Kodak had a ban on moves into the plant during rush hour. NYC's First Belt always managed to arrive during that time, so there was nothing else to do but go over to the diner for breakfast.

All sorts of bone-headed motorists encountered there. I recall a B&O unit train pulling north with a westbound funeral coming along on Ridge Road. The motorcycle cop (and for some reason I seem to recall it was an actual cop, but could be wrong) halted the procession and sat there a safe distance from the Kodak lead - except he was stopped right on the B&O main, which was where the train was! The engineer was doing chin-ups on the whistle cord, and finally the guy gunned it and avoided becoming a nose ornament on the F-7. And then he circled back around and asked the brakeman if the engineer was a wise guy!! Image

Another time about 2AM the Second Belt was shoving a cut of cars south, and the brakeman was out there with a couple fusees to reinforce the warning of the lights. (Both these deals were before gates were installed.) Some moron in a convertible came sailing along just before the train blocked the crossing, almost running down the crewman in the process. The startled - and pissed off - brakeman neatly pivoted out of the way and plunked one of his lit fusees right in the back seat. The car continued west on Ridge Road, and for as far as they could see it the drunk never slowed down. Image
I really should remember not to eat dinner at the same time I'm reading some of these stories.......I was laughing so hard at that
last story I almost choked on the bite of pizza I just took. 🤣🤣🤣

Charlie
 #1466426  by Gyro

turntable01 wrote:I took this photo from the pedestrian bridge over the mainline on March 15, 2018. Crew is getting ready to take a hefty string of empty hoppers out of Rochester. No doubt CSX and NS will be scrapping the rolling stock as it becomes surplus. http://bluegrass-express.rrpicturearchi ... id=4919817 I plan to leave the area for greener pastures myself.
Sat at the crossing at Ridge Road for (this?) train to cross. Had the feeling it was the last one. Also, was in the Barnard Crossing Bar & Grill having a hamburger this past wednesday when a three car freight rolled through to Boxart street.
 #1466667  by Otto Vondrak

Gyro wrote:Sat at the crossing at Ridge Road for (this?) train to cross. Had the feeling it was the last one.
The last loaded coal train was delivered by CSX in February, if you see coal hoppers moving today, then those are the gathered emptied making their last trip home...

-otto-