Railroad Forums 

• Gardenville line is packed with cars 12/13/16

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1509713  by SST

Well, its been a long time since any activity has taken place on this line. The closed hoppers have been replace by what I think are empty piggy back cars. I've never seen a direct overlooking view of an empty piggy back car plus it was getting dark and 60mph.....hard to see. It will take an up close personal view to confirm. I'm wondering if the new power line towers have been installed and complete along with all the track coverings removed allowing movements. One of these days I'll get down and take a look.
 #1509803  by SST

I was down there sometime during the winter and as I recall there being snow on the ground. The hoppers were still there. Unfortunately, I don't remember the date. This also included the construction that was still taking place as all the material was still covering the tracks to the GJ switch.

This picture was taken before the winter. Maybe any movement went down the western wye.
https://postimg.cc/k6WcS7VV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1511448  by SST

I went down there today to get a glimpse of what was parked there and to check the construction. The eastern wye to GJ is still covered with stone and blocked off. No access from either end. The western wye is still clear. The cars on the track from Rt400 and west are trailer train cars. Not containers. The first car in the line up is FEC 70372.

I also walked the NYC row and only 2 things remain, ballast and a couple of telegraph poles.

They cleared out some of the trees in the triangle of the wye. There were at least 10 separate pedestals all clustered together. A group of signals or light towers? I also notice that there are no more PRR signals standing anymore. I believe one yard light tower has been taken down too. Just a few wires. Kind of a bummer walking the line. When I first started walking this area back in the very late 90's all the signals were standing and lit.

Here are a couple of pics:

NYC row looking north: