Railroad Forums 

• HO6 on the Corning Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1293626  by Matt Langworthy

lvrr325 wrote:Who's that plant belong to again? Still NYSEG?
AES owns the Greenidge power plant. I agree that it will be interesting to see how coal will be delivered.
 #1293637  by poppyl

Matt Langworthy wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:Who's that plant belong to again? Still NYSEG?
AES owns the Greenidge power plant.
AES sold the station to GMMM Holdings Corp. earlier this year along with the Westover, Hickling, and Jennison plants. Original GMMM plan was to demo and scrap all four plants. After some investigation, GMMM decided to maintain Greenridge in either warm or hot standby but proceed with plans to tear down the other three. GMMM also announced no plans at this time to convert Greenridge to nat gas although a tap for the plant exists on the nearby Millenium Pipeline.

Poppyl
 #1293746  by poppyl

You are welcome. Should be interesting to see how all of this evolves over the next couple of months as the "new" owners have no experience running a commercial power plant.

Poppyl
 #1309027  by poppyl

Early Christmas gift for the former Dundee food facility. KanPak recently purchased the Emmi Roth facility in Penn Yan. They have also signed a one year lease with an option to purchase the entire Dundee Foods facility. Initial plans are to use it for dry and cold product storage. KanPak has a distribution center in Buffalo that will move to Dundee. Dry warehousing began operations on 1 December. Cold storage will begin after the existing freezer buildings are rehabbed. Expect to see some daily HO6 traffic generated as a result.

Poppyl
 #1309682  by poppyl

ebtmikado wrote:Will this mean more traffic to Penn Yan as well?
Lee Carlson
Rail traffic -- no. Four to six trucks daily initially between Dundee and PY. Emmi Roth/KanPak facility is located off Rte 14A just south of PY and not convenient to FGLK trackage.

Poppyl
 #1334908  by Matt Langworthy

It's that time of year again- I am planning a chase of H06. Does the crew still go on duty at 5 PM? That was the schedule for the past couple of years, and I'd like to make sure I don't miss it pulling onto the Corning Secondary.
 #1334997  by poppyl

Sounds about right for now. He had been coming through Dundee between nine and ten PM. About a month ago he started running a little earlier -- usually between eight and nine. I'm thinking that NS must have adjusted his schedule for your annual chase (LOL).

Poppyl
 #1335135  by poppyl

I'm out of pocket right now but I'll observe early next week to see if anything has changed in the past week or so from what I posted.

Poppyl
 #1335225  by CPSD40-2

Poppyl - Is that northbound that is coming through at that time? Been hearing them in Geneva late in the evening, but I may also be hearing FGLK coming in from Syracuse with the SD's too.
 #1335276  by poppyl

CPSD40-2 wrote:Poppyl - Is that northbound that is coming through at that time? Been hearing them in Geneva late in the evening, but I may also be hearing FGLK coming in from Syracuse with the SD's too.
I'm thinking that you may be hearing FGLK. Once HO6 crests the northbound grade at Dundee he picks up to what to me looks like about 30 MPH. At that speed I'd put him in Geneva at least an hour or more after passing through Dundee.

Matt is correct about the daily weeknight schedule although traffic can also dictate a Sunday night run on occasion.

Poppyl