Railroad Forums 

• HO6 on the Corning Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1265480  by poppyl

Does anyone know if the "schedule" for HO6 has changed recently?

The reason for asking is that I caught it southbound going through Dundee a little past 7PM this evening -- two wide cabs with 20 cars in the consist. I've been out of touch with the Secondary for the past couple of months but the last I knew, HO6 came northbound through Dundee pretty predictably around 8PM. If the schedule has changed, this could be important for those of you who like to chase HO6 as the northbound run could be an early afternoon deal.

I'll try to check its schedule over the next couple of days but probably won't be able to get a good handle on it until mid-May. I'm hoping that someone may have some information in the meantime as to whether the schedule has changed.

Poppyl
 #1265542  by Matt Langworthy

Thanks for the heads up! As you know, I've chased H06 on 6 trips in recent years. I am planning another trip this year, so any information would be appreciated.

Is it possible that you saw a relief crew bring H06 back? I do recall at least one report on FB about H06 being outlawed recently.
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1265558  by poppyl

Matt Langworthy wrote:Thanks for the heads up! As you know, I've chased H06 on 6 trips in recent years. I am planning another trip this year, so any information would be appreciated.

Is it possible that you saw a relief crew bring H06 back? i do recall at least one report on FB about H06 being outlawed recently.
You may be right, but the few times that I've caught it outlawed, it was sitting just north of Dundee and the relief crew arrived the next morning to run it back to Gang Mills. Southbound at 7PM seemed way out of the ordinary even if it had outlawed the previous night.

Poppyl
 #1265561  by CPSD40-2

A friend that lives along the lake said that Tuesday, NS took a southbound of 60+ cars out of Geneva in the middle of the afternoon. An unusual move, but good to see a big train regardless.
 #1265567  by poppyl

CPSD40-2 wrote:A friend that lives along the lake said that Tuesday, NS took a southbound of 60+ cars out of Geneva in the middle of the afternoon. An unusual move, but good to see a big train regardless.
Wow, that is unusual. Max that I've ever counted was 50 northbound with 30-40 more the norm. What's also interesting is that we have HO6 southbound in the afternoon/evening two days in a row.

Poppyl
 #1265679  by Matt Langworthy

I guess I'm going to have to keep an eye on the departure time for H06. Thanks, guys.

FWIW, I went back through my notes for H06 chases. Two runs had car counts of 52 and 56, respectively.
 #1269630  by poppyl

Not good news for you, Matt. HO6 came through Dundee tonight at about 9:30. I'll track it for a few more days to see if there is a pattern.

Unrelated to this, but there could be some news on the old Dundee Foods situation and/or Himrod Morton site in the near future.

Poppyl
 #1269763  by bwparker1

poppyl wrote:Not good news for you, Matt. HO6 came through Dundee tonight at about 9:30. I'll track it for a few more days to see if there is a pattern.

Unrelated to this, but there could be some news on the old Dundee Foods situation and/or Himrod Morton site in the near future.

Poppyl
Keep us posted please Poppyl!
 #1269777  by Matt Langworthy

I have been informed by a trustworthy source that the daytime runs of H06 were a temporary aberration. The train has returned to its usual late afternoon/early evening departure form Gang Mills. In fact, I saw H06 pull onto the Corning Secondary circa 7:15 PM last Friday. A long chase or two could happen next month.
 #1281157  by poppyl

Word is out that a buyer for Dundee Foods may be in the final stages of due diligence before executing the purchase. No more intel to share at this time but something formal is expected within the month.

Poppyl
 #1281173  by BR&P

Do you know whether the buyer is buying "Dundee Foods" as a corporation (with the implication they could resume rail traffic) or is buying the Dundee Foods property, in which case it may or may not require rail?
 #1281328  by poppyl

BR&P wrote:Do you know whether the buyer is buying "Dundee Foods" as a corporation (with the implication they could resume rail traffic) or is buying the Dundee Foods property, in which case it may or may not require rail?
As far as I know, they would be buying the in-place assets, including the main production space and warehouse, two cold warehouses (currently w/o refrigeration), and two rail spurs. I believe that LiDestri removed all production equipment, processing tanks, and storage tanks when they moved the operation back to Rochester. My source tells me that LiDestri left the internal utilities in good, buttoned up condition when they ceased operations although the roof and exteriors will need some work due to no maintenance for the past several years.

Useless to speculate on any rail impact until we know the buyer and what the specific intended use of the facility will be.

Poppyl
 #1283216  by poppyl

My understanding is that the deal to buy Dundee Foods is just about complete. The new owner is a commercial diary located in the area that is looking to move into a larger space. They now produce and package milk and milk products, including powdered milk, for various institutional clients -- airlines, school systems, etc.

I do not know if there will be any implications for the Corning Secondary traffic as their current location is not served by rail.

Formal announcement will be forthcoming.

Poppyl
 #1286520  by lvrr325

On 8/8 I heard his horn going northbound through Dundee about 8:30 PM and passed him returning southbound at White's Point, maybe 5-10 miles below Geneva, around 11:30 PM. At least I presume it was an HO-6, couldn't see much in the dark except two likely 4-axle units and between 5-10 cars.
 #1286838  by poppyl

Chances are that you are correct that it was HO-6 southbound. FGLK will run occasionally to Himrod after HO-6 has departed Geneva southbound. I was not aware that HO-6 was using four axle power -- usually wide bodies or SD's. I'll try to catch it one night this week to see what its power is.

Poppyl