Railroad Forums 

• Batten Kill Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1540174  by lvrr325

Kind of ironic they'd end up where the chapter's RDC spent a bunch of time many years back.
 #1549340  by Engineer Spike

It seems like for a year or so the bridge over Route 372 has been out of service. The bridge was very low, and had a height of about 11'. Apparently the state put new abutments to rail the height. It still doesn't look like the track has been totally regraded to the new level. Does anyone know the status of the project?

My wife an I were out for a ride yesterday. 605 was parked inside the Cargil plant. It looked like part of its pilot was removed. Is it out of service? I was looking for signs of the SNC equipment, but didn't see it. Could someone give me some information as to what's going on?
 #1549363  by NHV 669

Yes, 605 has been OOS for some time. The BL2's are supposedly in Shushan, given posts to the FB page. It appears that they are using a combo of trusty old 4116, and the RS-36 SNEX 5012 that was taken in for "storage" this spring to move traffic.

Live posts to the page have been limited during the pandemic, as the usual poorly behaved railfans are out ruining it for the rest of us.
 #1549562  by newpylong

The Town raised the bridge but the RR used the money for other things instead of raising the track to meet the bridge. It is supposed to happen at some point. Until then, the shops are inaccessible.
 #1554884  by Engineer Spike

I go to Cambridge from Saratoga to visit friends there. A while ago it looks like the state raised the bridge over 372 in Greenwich. It looks like they still have to relay the track to the new bridge level. What is the status of this project?
 #1558301  by NHV 669

An eventful day on the Battenkill captured by Chris Record over on the FB group. D&H 3021 was brought up to Shushan to be set on display with the maroon G&J caboose. A multitude of switching occured, which at one point made for a five unit lashup with 4116 shoving 3021 and the pair of BL-2's back towards 5012 so they could pull the caboose off the siding.
 #1608927  by NHV 669

The Batten Kill celebrated its 40th anniversary over the weekend, with several events, speakers, and a display of current power operating along the line along with a night shoot.

A rare Sunday move to pick up PAS interchange traffic at Eagle Bridge was made, using this amazing, all ALCO lashup, shot by Tim Stockwell at White Creek:

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/815510/
 #1611258  by NHV 669

BKRR head Bill Taber and his wife apparently lost their home and dog to fire last night, attached is a link to help them out, he and his crew do so much to keep this operation going with awesome, historic power.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/bill-taber?u ... e=customer