Railroad Forums 

• WSRR full scale ultra short line complete-After 18 years

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1550103  by SST

Finally after 18 years I've finally completed my WS short line RR. Always looking for useful scrap such as ties or the latest rails. Last year I found a single piece of scrape rail that was converted for a guard rail post long ago. When Tonawanda was ripping up the EL for the bike path, I grabbed it. I was hoping to find another piece of scrape rail but everything I found was too big. So last week, I finally caved and had it cut in half. Most of the time stamp remains on one piece. Could have been worse. Here are some pics:

Cutting the rail:

The result of the cut:

I was hoping to avoid a torch cut. Fortunately the family business has a band saw. Clean cut:

Prime with time stamp:

WS tie plate it will fit into:

The tie plate is not the correct size for this 1909 rail. Slow order?

Both rails installed with time stamp. The time stamp really sticks out with having been scrubbed of corrosion and painted.

I grabbed this picture as I suddenly noticed the sun [ultra solar power] was hitting the back of the lens and lighting it up.

Everything except the rails and ballast are WS. I may be able to correct the rails at some point in time but I'm not likely to get permission to dig them out. I'm not certain if my piece ever served the EL or not. The guard rail is close enough.
At least I'm not in receivership! :-D
 #1550165  by BR&P

There's an old joke about the shortline president telling the president of a Class I line "My railroad may not be as long as yours, but it's just as wide". This may be the first "railroad' that is wider than it is long! :P :P :P
 #1550270  by SST

The pictures were processed using postimage.org. So I don't have to reduce the size of the picture, I pick "Thumbnail for Forums" and then copy and paste here. Usually the pictures will expand to a larger photo. I don't know why it's not doing it here. Perhaps I've run my limit or exceeded the amount....no clue.

I stood in the store wondering which color paint I should use for the rails. I took a grinder to the top of the rail to get the polished look of a well used rail but it made it look worse than just leaving it alone. This color is a bit too shiny for the whole piece of rail. But its preserved.