Railroad Forums 

• LV Map Needed - Something showing tracks just before CR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1549753  by lvrr325

From the last timetable -

Auburn Branch known as the Freeville Secondary to Freeville and Mead Secondary above that, ends at Mead MP 68.5 (339)

Former EC&N:
Waverly-Elmira Branch, reached via EL, about five miles between Elmira and Horseheads
East Ithaca Running Track, runs 9 miles west from Freeville
Cortland Secondary, Freeville to Cortland, ends about 4000 ft east of MP 71 (to Canastota abandoned 1967). About half a mile in Canastota remained, sold and contracted to PC to operate.

Auburn & Ithaca branch, ends Ludlowville
Naples branch, ends Rushville
Rochester Branch, ends just below Lima

Not listed is the actual track in Auburn, but it was only about two miles if that and reached by trackage rights on PC. There may have been a stub of the A&I in Cayuga as well but the last train down to whatever the college is to deliver coal was in 1973.

L&LE branch and Niagara branch were in full use.

Pennsylvania gets more complicated to sort out what was already gone by 1976.

Everything else in NY was abandoned at that point.
 #1549761  by BR&P

I would not take that map as gospel. It shows the LA&L as still part of EL, and the West Hojack shows as intact altho a mile or so had been removed west of Model City. I don't recall when the East hojack was cut between Oswego and Hannibal, maybe it was still in place in 1973 when the map shows. Minor to be sure, just don't bet the ranch based on that info. :wink:
 #1549773  by TB Diamond

Lehigh Valley Railroad General Order No. 1001 Effective 12:01 A.M. Sunday August 10, 1975:

Paragraph (f): EAST ITHACA RUNNING TRACK EAST ITHACA-ETNA

East Ithaca Running Track between East Ithaca and Etna, out of service account track conditions.

Paragraph (G): NAPLES BRANCH GENEVA-RUSHVILLE

Naples Branch between Geneva and Rushville, out of service account track conditions.

Other information:

Elmira-Horseheads, 5.1 miles, abandoned December 4, 1975.

Auburn and Ithaca Branch Ludlowville-Lake Ridge, 6.5 miles, reactivated in 1955 for the Milliken Station. This track segment went to ConRail, then NS.

Auburn & Ithaca Branch Cayuga Jct.-Aurora, 9.3 miles, abandoned in 1971. The last coal delivered to Wells College was in July, 1971.

Seneca Falls Branch Cayuga-Cayuga Jct, 3.8 miles, abandoned in 1971.
 #1549867  by TB Diamond

Lehigh Valley RR Ithaca Branch:

Ithaca-Trumansburg, 10.8 miles, abandoned 11-22-62.

Trumansburg-Geneva Jct., 27.4 miles, abandoned 11-22-67.

Lehigh Valley RR Willard Branch:

Ovid-Willard State Hospital, 2.9 miles, abandoned in 1936.

Hayts Corners-Ovid, 2.1 miles, abandoned May 30, 1959.
 #1549881  by BR&P

TB Diamond wrote:
Lehigh Valley RR Willard Branch:

Ovid-Willard State Hospital, 2.9 miles, abandoned in 1936.

Hayts Corners-Ovid, 2.1 miles, abandoned May 30, 1959.
Pardon my ignorance but was that the only rail access to Willard State Hospital? I have a couple pics of their steam engine but not sure if there is a date on them or not.
 #1549914  by BR&P

Thank you! I thought the pics were more recent but can't find them at the moment - thought I had it scanned but I'm getting to where I can't even find stuff on the computer any more, let alone the basement! :P :wink: