Railroad Forums 

• Rochester Subway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1547860  by nydepot

I was under the impression (mistaken?) That the City Hall station exists but is closed off. With all of the Subway exploration that has happened in the past decade, has anyone gotten access to see it? Thanks.
 #1547880  by nydepot

I thought so too but I don't know the orientation of the tunnel itself and what is under City Hall at was an entrance/waiting area/etc. I always heard rumors the station still existed. That could be wrong.
 #1547893  by BR&P

I heard something along those lines but pertaining to NY City. Supposedly there is a very ornate and beautiful stop which is never used. This is just a recollection, not hard fact, but I have not heard anything like that about Rochester.
 #1547911  by nydepot

It was on my existing stations site as it was the last station on the old subway that was still there, just sealed off in the basement of City Hall.
 #1547967  by Scott K

JPVideos and The Wandering Woodsman toured the tunnel last year, and showed what was left of the City Hall and Times Square stations. They didn't know that's what they were looking at, but it was the most detailed look I've seen on Youtube.
JP's Video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWnULGl45xw
The WW's Video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PVVpa-x_xE

Scott K
 #1597679  by R36 Combine Coach

Otto Vondrak wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:18 pm Electric freight operated by RTC continued one more year until 1957.

The only private trolley operation in New York State is the trolley at New York Museum of Transportation, which had its first test run off live overhead wire in 2001, and has operated
regularly since 2008.
I believe the last electric freight in NYS was SBK in Brooklyn into the 1970s?

There is also a private trolley operation at TMNY in Kingston, but uses either diesel or generator power.
Electrification is in the long term plan.
 #1623877  by Jeff Smith

https://untappedcities.com/2023/06/12/a ... er-subway/
INSIDE THE RUINS OF THE ABANDONED ROCHESTER SUBWAY

Beneath the streets of downtown Rochester lies the remains of the seldom heard-of, but once bustling Rochester Industrial and Rapid Transit Railway; simply known to locals at the time as ‘the Subway.’ It operated for just under 30 years when poor planning and the incorporation of the interstate highway system prevented it from being used to its fullest potential. Today, nearly 70 years after it ceased passenger service, only a few traces of the subway remain.

Learn more about the remnants of the Rochester subway and other abandoned locations in the Finger Lakes region at an upcoming live virtual talk with photographer John Lazarro, author of A Vanishing New York: Ruins Across the Empire State, on July 12th! This talk is free for Untapped New York Insiders. Not an Insider yet? Become a member today and get your first month free with code JOINUS.
 #1623962  by RailKevin

I am surprised they were able to walk all the way through the subway. Many years ago (1990's), a friend and I explored from the west end along the freight track connection to R&S. The tunnel ended at a large overhead door near the Gannett Building. It's my understanding they got carloads of paper back then.

We also explored from the library end, but we could not go past the west end of the aquaduct near the Gannett Building.
 #1624340  by clearblock

RailKevin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:23 pm I am surprised they were able to walk all the way through the subway. Many years ago (1990's), a friend and I explored from the west end along the freight track connection to R&S. The tunnel ended at a large overhead door near the Gannett Building. It's my understanding they got carloads of paper back then.

We also explored from the library end, but we could not go past the west end of the aquaduct near the Gannett Building.
The area around the former City Hall Station that Gannett had partitioned off as a newsprint paper warehouse has been reopened for many years. Once Gannett moved their printing operations to Greece their walls and overhead door were removed. The subway bed from beneath the former LVRR station to the ramp to the former R&S connection is now clear.

At the exact time of your post on 6/14 I happened to actually be walking the subway bed on a Rochester Engineering Society inspection tour related to future use of the Broad Street Aqueduct. This was related to the City of Rochester's "Aqueduct Reimagined" project proposing to remove the upper Broad Street Bridge deck and restore the aqueduct as some type of public attraction.

https://www.roctheaqueduct.com
 #1624345  by scratchyX1

Jeff Smith wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:00 am https://untappedcities.com/2023/06/12/a ... er-subway/
INSIDE THE RUINS OF THE ABANDONED ROCHESTER SUBWAY

Beneath the streets of downtown Rochester lies the remains of the seldom heard-of, but once bustling Rochester Industrial and Rapid Transit Railway; simply known to locals at the time as ‘the Subway.’ It operated for just under 30 years when poor planning and the incorporation of the interstate highway system prevented it from being used to its fullest potential. Today, nearly 70 years after it ceased passenger service, only a few traces of the subway remain.

Learn more about the remnants of the Rochester subway and other abandoned locations in the Finger Lakes region at an upcoming live virtual talk with photographer John Lazarro, author of A Vanishing New York: Ruins Across the Empire State, on July 12th! This talk is free for Untapped New York Insiders. Not an Insider yet? Become a member today and get your first month free with code JOINUS.
I wonder (which climate change drives people back north) if it would be possible to dig out, and resurrect the subway?
 #1624346  by BR&P

scratchyX1 wrote:
I wonder (which climate change drives people back north) if it would be possible to dig out, and resurrect the subway?
What for?
 #1624361  by scratchyX1

BR&P wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:49 am
scratchyX1 wrote:
What for?
The region filling up with people, and thus gridlock.
 #1624365  by BR&P

scratchyX1 wrote:The region filling up with people, and thus gridlock.
I disagree. People are leaving New York. People remaining near cities are moving outward. Remote work is much more common. We could overload the forum by listing the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of companies which have left Rochester since 1956. Center city is no longer a destination for work nor shopping. Remember Midtown Plaza? Kodak HQ? The Xerox offices? Some people are even unwilling to go into the city itself due to crime. And for those who DO go, we have expressways to get you in and out much easier than many cities. There is a bus system as well.

There are many fewer people going downtown than in 1956, and it's much easier for those who do. Gridlock? It's not happening here. A subway in Rochester is totally unnecessary.
 #1624495  by charlie6017

scratchyX1 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:53 pm The region filling up with people, and thus gridlock.
I promise you this region is not filling up with people. People can't wait to leave this state for a variety of valid reasons.

Charlie