Railroad Forums 

• Paterson Stations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#88192  by riffian

Are the current NJT platforms the remains of the Erie Station? I've tried to find any sign of either of the two Susquehanna stations without success - I guess there are no remains of either station nor the Paterson City branch. Where was the Lackawanna station located and is there anything left of the building? Any info appreciated.......

#88250  by njtmnrrbuff

Yes, and for clarification-there is only one platform at paterson station.

#88265  by Lackawanna484

The Lackawanna station was up on the hill by Garrett Mountain. Although the station itself is long gone, and under highway 20, there are remnants of the yard and the coal bunkers off Marshall street.

The Erie station had a ground level pair of stub tracks, at the southwest side of the building for express packages and local trains via the Newark branch. The trains ascended to the main track level. By 1938, most Newark branch trains ran thru to Waldwick and the lower level became railway express only.
 #88446  by jsx

If you look carefully you can still see the ROW of the Paterson City Branch where it branched off from the NYSW main at the intersection of Madison and Ellison. The amazing thing is that there were once 4 tracks crossing Madison here with numerous sidings. If you head into the side streets between Pearl and 16th (be cautious) you'll see where the City Branch tracks used to run. It was double tracked all the way from the NYSW main to the Passenger and Freight stations at Straight St.
There were two small sidings on the (compass) north side of the line just before Straight St.

Back in the old times, the Erie was at the same grade as the NYSW, but there was never a connection.

Hope that helps a bit

Jim
 #88455  by Lackawanna484

jsx wrote:
Back in the old times, the Erie was at the same grade as the NYSW, but there was never a connection.

Hope that helps a bit

Jim
Thanks for the info. The early pictures of locomotives being dragged down the street from the Rogers Locomotive shops to the Erie occasionally show a street running Erie Main line.

I wonder why the DL&W didn't extend its track down toward the industrial area along the Falls district?

#88502  by gravelyfan

At the NYS&W Paterson Broadway station site there is still some sort of signal remnant - a mast or pole. And looking to the west you can see a curved building that gives away the Paterson City spur alignment.

The NYS&W Vreeland Avenue station building survives - it is now part of a larger complex (and for sale, I believe), but it is recognizable. This was a relatively modern station, built in the 40's I believe, to replace the "original" station which burned down, I think.

#88649  by Lackawanna484

Another look at the maps.

--In the 1895 and 1908 map, Paterson is bordered on the south by Acquakanock Twp (Clifton), and by Little Falls on the southwest in 1908. West Paterson later seceded from Little Falls

--Cooke Works / American Locomotive were located along Getty Avenue @ Madison Ave, opposite the farmers market.

--Trolley lines are clearly shown in the 1908 map

#89657  by MickD

I walked what was left of the Paterson City branch of NYS&W back in the 80's before affordable housing was built on the east end of it.Does anyone know what the ridership was like in final years of operation?

#207489  by Charlie7

Was the original Erie Paterson Station at the same grade level as it is today, or was the grade changed when the connection to the re-routed former DL&W line was made in 1963?

#207511  by MickD

I saw a photo somewhere awhile back at the turn of the century that looked like the original station was at street level.

#207522  by MickD

Charlie,
For sheer irony,LOL!!check out the"A FRIEND JUST SENT " thread
below in New Jersey Railfan.Pull down the family-images.com page
about 2/3 of the way to Paterson Erie Station photo.This isn't the one I saw months ago.It's better.

#207604  by Charlie7

That's why I asked the question, when I saw that pic on the thread "a friend just sent me." Then I did a search, and I found this other thread. Have you ever noticed that when you look south from Route 80 in Paterson, the NJT tracks are at a much higher elevation than the old Erie mainline?

#207670  by German

Irony, ah yes! As a child growing up in Paterson, I was surrounded by tracks yet had no interest in trains. Now I'm in southern Ocean County, fascinated by them, and nary a track in sight. :(