Railroad Forums 

• South Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1144695  by chuchubob

BNSF 4624 came in with two NS engines on crude oil train NS 64D last night. I haven't seen it yet, but BNSF 4795 was at Pavonia this afternoon.
 #1145785  by chuchubob

The next NS 64D arrived at Pavonia Enginehouse in the sunshine Sunday at 12:45 with two BNSF engines. The first several cars were cut off and shoved into a Yard track, since the whole train won't fit into Sunoco Logistics. I photographed the engines shoving across Cooper River in beautiful Camden.
 #1146312  by ReadingAve

Hey guys, this might be a dumb question but does anyone know why those BNSF units are still working in South Jersey? Are they awaiting a train that'll take them back to their home territory and in the meantime just helping out here?
 #1146319  by chuchubob

The NS 64D crude oil trains start out on BNSF in North Dakota. Zero, one, or two run-through BNSF locos continue to South Jersey. An NS engine has to lead west of Harrisburg, so we never get an all-BNSF consist. The power is generally kept together in SJ until the empties go out as NS 65D.
As far as BNSF 4795 is concerned, it appeared at Pavonia Enginehouse last week. As far as I'm aware, the local railfan community didn't see it come in.
 #1146320  by glennk419

ReadingAve wrote:Hey guys, this might be a dumb question but does anyone know why those BNSF units are still working in South Jersey? Are they awaiting a train that'll take them back to their home territory and in the meantime just helping out here?
Usually when "foreign" units are seen on a railroad for any period of time, it is for repayment of horsepower hours. There were probably some NS units that worked on BNSF at some point that NS is now recovering the time for. Railroads will also use run-through units on priority trains but those usits usually head back to home rails on relatively short order.
 #1147074  by Rivetjoint

I think it was this past Monday evening as I was heading south on Rte 130 in the Westville area, the grade crossing lights for the spur into Waste Management were flashing ( perhaps for the third time I've ever seen) ahead. No way was I going to pass up this opportunity so I stopped first in line to see BNSF 4795 and a NS unit roll into the WM facility. That was fun, seeing as that my usual BNSF sightings are around Cajon and Tehachapi during family visits to the Left Coast.
 #1166572  by ChrisU

I had the chance to see a little bit of the CSAO operations in South Jersey yesterday and I have a few questions, what is the track the goes through Westville and what usually runs on it and when, I also followed the tracks to Woodbury and noticed a small yard and what looked like a wye with another line coming off and I was wondering what the yard and the line was, and finally what is the scanner frequency for this area? If anybody could help me with these questions it would be greatly appreciated.