Railroad Forums 

• Bernardsville Freight Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1050369  by NJT4115

In Bernardsville, I believe at one time there was a freight yard that was active up until about 2002 in the quarry. Does anyone know about the history of the yard or has any photos? Also, I believe back in the DL&W and the beginning of the E-L, there was a yard at the station, too, but correct me if I'm wrong
 #1050632  by NJT4115

Never knew B-ville was such a big railroad town. Shame that its all gone now :(.
 #1050638  by blockline4180

NJT4115 wrote:Never knew B-ville was such a big railroad town. Shame that its all gone now :(.

LOL, LOTS of towns all over the country were "big railroad towns" in the 1920's and 30's.... Remember, the interstate highway system had not been built and most freight all went by rail then!!
 #1050655  by SecaucusJunction

And in some ways, we're headed back in that direction now......
 #1050826  by NJT4115

SecaucusJunction wrote:And in some ways, we're headed back in that direction now......
There are too many NIMBYs in Bernardsville now for freight trains. People complain about the Arrows ALONE, so that would show what would happen if NS sent a 20 car train down the Gladstone with 2 D8s :)
Also, I keep hearing what sound like K5LAs, not the 46s or C5 horns, but more like something you'd find on a Genesis or a CSX AC4400CW on the line in the middle of the day. Could there be a new client on the line?
 #1052490  by R36 Combine Coach

NJT4115 wrote:
SecaucusJunction wrote:And in some ways, we're headed back in that direction now......
There are too many NIMBYs in Bernardsville now for freight trains. People complain about the Arrows ALONE, so that would show what would happen if NS sent a 20 car train down the Gladstone with 2 D8s :)
Also, I keep hearing what sound like K5LAs, not the 46s or C5 horns, but more like something you'd find on a Genesis or a CSX AC4400CW on the line in the middle of the day. Could there be a new client on the line?
Perhaps a non-revenue GP40?
 #1053041  by NJT4115

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
NJT4115 wrote:
Perhaps a non-revenue GP40?
Possibly, but they'd probably send an ALP46 for equipment moves, but perhaps a ballast train?
 #1053356  by NJT4115

R36 Combine Coach wrote:That might make sense. A GP40 could have been assigned to move some passenger cars around too.
Just heard what sounds like a geep heading backwards at 3:18 at Bernardsville. I don't know what direction it's moving.
Also, has the maintenance begun?
 #1053500  by R36 Combine Coach

NJT4115 wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:That might make sense. A GP40 could have been assigned to move some passenger cars around too.
Just heard what sounds like a geep heading backwards at 3:18 at Bernardsville. I don't know what direction it's moving.
Also, has the maintenance begun?
There's no freight customers on the section, so a non-revenue move seems it.
 #1064527  by nick11a

There has not been any freights on the Gladstone since Reheis in Berkeley Heights stopped getting cars in 2009 or 2010. That could always start again one day should they wish. Witch and sidings are still in palce and NS would still serve them. But, it doesn't seem likely.
 #1064923  by NJT4115

A non-revenue was one the G-stone today with a Comet IV heading east
 #1064938  by nick11a

NJT4115 wrote:A non-revenue was one the G-stone today with a Comet IV heading east
Could be a test train or an equipment move. If a car or cab developed a problem, they could have removed it from the set.