• A Blue Comet equipment accounting: What's left in NJ

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by NJT4272

For some reason, I got to thinking about what remains of the Blue Comet passenger equipment that still resides in NJ. I had done this once before, but its been a while and certain statuses have changed, so I thought I'd revisit the topic.

There also seems to be a discrepancy as to which car sits in Manahawkin right now. Perhaps this discussion can clarify things.

CNJ 1172 - Blue Comet 'Westphal' - renamed 'Tamaqua' - Currently at Winslow Junction

CNJ 1173 - Blue Comet 'D'Arrest' - renamed 'Beachcomber' - Currently at Winslow Junction

CNJ 1169 - Blue Comet 'Tempel' - Currently in Tuckahoe

CNJ 1178 - Blue Comet 'DeVico' - Currently in Boonton

CNJ 1179 - Blue Comet 'Biela' - Sticking out of the Clinton Station Diner in Clinton. NJ

Now for the remaining car. At one time I knew which one it was. I have forgotten and there doesn't seem to be explanation anywhere on the web:

- There's the coach in Manahawkin at the Stafford Township Historical Society

I believe it may have been either 1171 'Holmes' or 1176 'Winnecke'. Photos I've seen have it erroneously tagged as 1172 'Westphal'. I also remember reading that it may have been set ablaze by vandals at one point after it was moved to Manahawkin. Clarifications please?

Also of note, this car came from NWS Earle, where it had resided for MANY years. It was in the company of 2 Ex-US Army hospital cars and a former Pennsy P-70. Years ago, satellite imagery of the area showed all 4 cars on a siding at the southeast corner of NWS Earle in Wall Township, right along side the CNJ Southern Secondary tracks. The most recent satellite images show that the Army Hospital cars are still there (now wrapped in white plastic) along with that P-70. Can anyone confirm or deny that all that stuff is still there?

So that's 6 of the surviving Blue Comet cars still in NJ. Too bad this is New Jersey. Anywhere else and we might have had a chance of seeing them all restored and running together in honor of the Blue Comet.
  by blockline4180

NJT4272 wrote:
So that's 6 of the surviving Blue Comet cars still in NJ. Too bad this is New Jersey. Anywhere else and we might have had a chance of seeing them all restored and running together in honor of the Blue Comet.

You hit the nail on the head there, but at least they survive!!!
  by NJT4272

blockline4180 wrote:
NJT4272 wrote:

You hit the nail on the head there, but at least they survive!!!
Yeah...... they survive, but barely. The future doesn't look bright for more than half of them!
  by GSC

There are two observations with pics in your list. Are either of these NJT 1? Were there more than two obs in BC service?
  by nomis

GSC wrote:There are two observations with pics in your list. Are either of these NJT 1? Were there more than two obs in BC service?
CNJ 1178 - Blue Comet 'DeVico' was NJT 1