Railroad Forums 

• Possible old Morristown and Erie Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1031019  by CGRLCDR

I was looking at the M&E in Whippany with historicaerials.com back in 1931. It looks like there was a branch off the main line where it crosses Eden Lane just under Rt. 287. It appeared to head north and run through the existing NJDOT maintenance yard and sweep east to Malapardis. When you look at the area in Bing Maps you can make out a portion of the ROW where it crossed South Jefferson Road just south of Ukraine Road. Then I drove up the entrance road to the DOT yard and there appears to be a ROW in the woods next to the road. Does anyone know about this?
 #1031039  by blockline4180

Chrisgr wrote:Malapardis Branch
I believe it went as far as Bee Meadow Pond(Brick pond) until 1930? Are there any old relics of that portion of the line??
 #1031074  by RS115

The line referred to is the original Malapardis Branch which serve the brick yard. I don't know if they still do but up into the 80's/90's the railroad still owned parts of the right-of-way which could be seen from the present day Bee Meadow park.

The line R36 mentions which went to the Stoney Brook Mill (present site of the recently constructed ball fields and recreation building) which was active into the late 1970's. When I was in high school around 1977 or so it was still open and accepting (and paying for) newspapers for recycling. This line although not really overlapping with the original alignment, was also sometimes called the Malapardis branch. Post the closure of Channel Lumber it has been used for car storage at various times. The Channel trackage had survived the construction of the Cadberry complex though I'm not sure if the railway has subsequently scrapped the rail.
 #1031094  by blockline4180

RS115 wrote:The line referred to is the original Malapardis Branch which serve the brick yard. I don't know if they still do but up into the 80's/90's the railroad still owned parts of the right-of-way which could be seen from the present day Bee Meadow park.

The line R36 mentions which went to the Stoney Brook Mill (present site of the recently constructed ball fields and recreation building) which was active into the late 1970's. When I was in high school around 1977 or so it was still open and accepting (and paying for) newspapers for recycling. This line although not really overlapping with the original alignment, was also sometimes called the Malapardis branch.
RS115,

Isn't Bee Meadow Park where the Hanover Township Pool is today?? Isn't there an old brick smokestack still standing from the old Mill, or was that just a replica built later near the parking lot??

Thanks!
 #1031173  by RS115

Don't know about the pool though thinking about it there maybe - back from the road beyond a pond and some trees. When out by the road (whose name escapes me) looking at the pond and stack the right-of-way was/is off to the left. I've never tried to follow it so I don't know how passable it is or if there are any remaining vestiges of the railroad. It's been gone a long time.
 #1032109  by NJT4115

CGRLCDR wrote:I was looking at the M&E in Whippany with historicaerials.com back in 1931. It looks like there was a branch off the main line where it crosses Eden Lane just under Rt. 287. It appeared to head north and run through the existing NJDOT maintenance yard and sweep east to Malapardis. When you look at the area in Bing Maps you can make out a portion of the ROW where it crossed South Jefferson Road just south of Ukraine Road. Then I drove up the entrance road to the DOT yard and there appears to be a ROW in the woods next to the road. Does anyone know about this?
I know theres one line that branches off east of South Jefferson Rd. and heads north, but doesn't cross Eden Lane. Maybe this is the branch that you're talking about
 #1032151  by CGRLCDR

No, that's the most recent Malapardis Branch. Try going on historicaerials.com in 1931 and you will see the branch that I am refering to. It is just west of the current team track on South Jefferson Road. As someone else mentioned, this is probably the original Malapardis Branch.
 #1032263  by cjvrr

https://morrisgis.co.morris.nj.us/MCPRI ... rrisCounty?

The above link goes to the Morris County GIS system. If you zoom down in on the area near Jefferson Road you can clearly see the right of way between it and Route 287. One parcel is still owned by M&E. You can also pan the map around and follow the narrow right of way that used to be parts of that branch.