Railroad Forums 

• CMSL in the news

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1042873  by TAMR213

blockline4180 wrote:
kilroy wrote: Remember folks, we're talking crackheads here.

Yes, sadly they seem to be a lot more prevalent today then they were 50+ years ago......

Off topic, I'm sorry, but here is another good example of what we are up against in today's society!!

http://www.wbtv.com/story/18095360/prot ... coal-plant#
And another example that people will steal absolutely anything...
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05/03/ ... the-bronx/
 #1042885  by glennk419

TAMR213 wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:
kilroy wrote: Remember folks, we're talking crackheads here.

Yes, sadly they seem to be a lot more prevalent today then they were 50+ years ago......

Off topic, I'm sorry, but here is another good example of what we are up against in today's society!!

http://www.wbtv.com/story/18095360/prot ... coal-plant#
And another example that people will steal absolutely anything...
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05/03/ ... the-bronx/
We've also had several instances of sewer grates being stolen in our local area and the morons in Cape May county have also been caught stealing copper grounding wires from utility poles. A couple people also get fried every year trying to steal live catenary wires at the Septa substation in Philly.
So much for not stealing anything that's not bolted down.

Sorry to wander too far off topic.
 #1042900  by NYS&W142Fan

glennk419 wrote: A couple people also get fried every year trying to steal live catenary wires at the Septa substation in Philly.
So much for not stealing anything that's not bolted down.

Sorry to wander too far off topic.
Contrary to popular belief, this proves you can fix stupid!

Sadly, it usually winds up that someone else gets hurt or killed because of crap like this.
 #1045461  by nomis

glennk419 wrote:One down, one to go....
ERMA — Motorists will no longer be able to cross the railroad tracks at Sally Marshall Crossing, as it has been permanently closed to traffic as of 2:30 p.m. Thur., May 10.
Full story: http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/arti ... ens+may+10
Today both new crossings were cut over ...
 #1045496  by chuchubob

nomis wrote: Today both new crossings were cut over ...
I don't speak jargon. What does that mean in English?
 #1045649  by nomis

To clarify: as of yesterday afternoon, both of the new roads which are now at grade highway crossings are active to vehicular traffic and the two older crossings which were to be replaced are now barricaded. I did not take mental note of the status of the highway traffic lights at either of those intersections. This was observed twice from Seashore Road traveling both SB and NB directions ...

Sorry Brother GME Aand chuchubob for an abbreviated post, but i was getting yelled at to 'put away technology' while enjoying the late afternoon at Sunset Beach.
 #1046640  by nomis

from the cmsl facebook and webpage ...
https://www.facebook.com/CapeMaySeashor ... 0199762496
Tony Macrie, President and General Manager of the Seashore Lines, has posted a very important announcement regarding Cape May service. The short version: due to the recent massive theft of several thousand tie plates and spikes, along with subsequent damage to many wooden ties on the Cape May Branch, a large section of that track is unusable until it's repaired. We cannot move the train from Tuckahoe to Cape May this summer.
 #1046734  by glennk419

northjerseybuff wrote:How long would it take to fix the problem of this theft??
I'm going to guess that CMSL doesn't have a few hundred ties, 1000 tie plates and a couple barrels of spikes just laying around, nor do they have Class 1 size track maintenance crews at their disposal. Let's just hope there's nothing else lurking out there that may not have been discovered.

I'm glad they are actually prosecuting the scrap dealer as well. At least there may be some restitution available from that clown and his business.
 #1046757  by northjerseybuff

So that was my point. If the money is returned and he can purchase the supplies, how long would it take to repair it?
 #1047788  by drifty1

Vandrew should propose that the possession and theft of certain ammounts of railroad materials be a felony. Scrap dealers should also be mandated to accept railroad materials from licensed railroad contractors and salvagers. The scrap dealer accepting these m,materials from individuals should be charged also with a felony, his property be liquidated as well as those that actually did the theft. Maybe then small railroads like Cape May Seashore Lines might be able to predict a reliable schedule of service. As for the storage of Railcars that is the business of the railroad and no politician should interfere with Interstate Commerce. NJ Transit has leased the property to CMSL to keep up some minimum degree of service and to generate revenue as well as continuing to maintain the track.
 #1055608  by dlagrua

The situation at the CMSL is not good. Last year the grade crossings held up service and just as there was hope that service would return to Cape May this year, trackage was destroyed. As a part time resident of Cape May I am disappointed at the turn of events. The line has been rebuilt several times before so it will have to do so again when the funds become available. It should be remembered that the CMSL does not own the right of way and only leases the track rights from NJT.
As for the scrap dealer that purchased the stolen rail plates, he was undoubtedly negligent and obviously broke the law. He should be held accountable and I believe that he will be. Most of the time you drive your truck to these places and they don't even examine your load. You just drive on the scale going in, dump it yourself, and weigh again going out-no questions asked. Perhaps now Southern NJ scrap dealers will finally begin taking notice.
As for the rebuilding task; anything can be rebuilt. The question becomes how, when and at what cost? We can only hope that the state gives a grant to the CMSL to restore the trackage. There is something like 2500-3000 ties, and 24,000 spikes in one mile of track. Replacing every third tie would still require 1000 ties and several thousand spikes. That is the chore at hand.
If a small crew were able to repair 610' of rail in one weeks time, it would take 8 weeks to get the job done but of course cost has to be the major issue. We can only hope for the best.
 #1055739  by glennk419

Mike the Mouth is at it again.....
ERMA — Lower Township Police Chief Brian Marker and Township Manager Mike Voll met last week with state Department of Transportation Officials (DOT) officials to discuss timing issues and safety concerns to the improvements to Tabernacle and Breakwater roads between Seashore Road and Route 9.
http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/arti ... +crossings

Tony continues to take the high road.....
 #1055802  by EDM5970

An empty barrel makes the most noise. (Maybe Mr. Voll can take those ties for his garden?) Perhaps he could use his persuasive powers to 'levitate' the push-pull set over the OOS track, so Tony can start operating out of Cape May again.