• Waterworks in Manville

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by hazmatmess

As my son is now into trains and I'm getting back into railfanning, I remember going to Waterworks to railfan. Its been a few years since I was last there. Is this still a popular place to railfan? Can you still park in between the 2 lines next to the Raritan River Bridge? With it still being cold, this would be a great place to take my son so while waiting, we can sit in the car and stay warm (He's 2). If this is off limits, anywhere else in the area a good place for the Lehigh Line? Bound Brook is out of the question until it gets warmer out.
Thanks.
  by waldwickrailfan

hazmatmess wrote:As my son is now into trains and I'm getting back into railfanning, I remember going to Waterworks to railfan. Its been a few years since I was last there. Is this still a popular place to railfan? Can you still park in between the 2 lines next to the Raritan River Bridge? With it still being cold, this would be a great place to take my son so while waiting, we can sit in the car and stay warm (He's 2). If this is off limits, anywhere else in the area a good place for the Lehigh Line? Bound Brook is out of the question until it gets warmer out.
Thanks.
I don't know if it's off limits, but if it is another spot I know of is in South Plainfield, you can park right there and see about the same amount of trains.
  by hazmatmess

waldwickrailfan wrote: I don't know if it's off limits, but if it is another spot I know of is in South Plainfield, you can park right there and see about the same amount of trains.
Where in South Plainfield? I see on google maps thats its the Lehigh Line so yeah, same amount of trains.
The good thing about Waterworks was the bridge which made some nice shots.
Thanks for the info
Tim
  by ccutler

You can also park at the canal parking lot in south bound brook. Before the foliage returns the views should be fine, you'll just be across the river from the trains.

Chimney Rock Road also runs south across the raritan valley line and past the recycling center. You can drive past the ponds to a railroad crossing that is between bound brook and manville. Don't cross the tracks though, you may enter a secured area and threaten the county water supply.

Its my secret spot...no longer!
  by TAMR213

It's been a few years since I've been to Waterworks myself so I also have no idea if its now off limits.

A good spot in South Plainfield is at Sherbans Dinner, at the intersection of Oak Tree Road and Front Street/Metuchen Road. Sit in your car, or grab some food, its a nice spot.

ccutler,
That is Waterworks. South of Main Street, Chimney Rock Road is known as Polhemus Lane. To get to the bridge you must cross over the tracks and make a quick right before passing through the wall/gate. Most of the time when me and a friend of mine would visit Waterworks we would stay at "your secret spot", I'm assuming you mean the turnaround area right before the crossing. Never had any problems there but we would sometimes get a funny look from the security guard. But I wouldn't be surprised if this whole area is now "off limits".
Last edited by TAMR213 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by hazmatmess

Thanks for all the info. Recent pictures I see on railroad pic archvive were taken at the crossing and I found pics by the bridge but those were taken in Jan 2011 making me believe that area is off limits (not looking to trespass).
By the crossing at Waterworks, is it more of a weekend spot as I don't want to get in anyone's way that is working there or going there during the week ok?
Depending on the weather near the end of the week, I'm probably going to check out the South Plainfield spot.
  by kilroy

A buddy of mine was ticketed there by CSX a year or two ago. Not sure how enforcement is these days.
  by hazmatmess

kilroy wrote:A buddy of mine was ticketed there by CSX a year or two ago. Not sure how enforcement is these days.
That's enough to keep me away. Can't afford the backlash at work for receiving a trespassing summons.

Took the kid to South Plainfield the past couple of days. Saw only 3 trains (today) including the juice train (my first time). Nice spot and a little closer than Ridgefield Park.
  by michaelk

Are you guys talking about hangin a left off polymeus and crossing the tracks in the recycling center area then you pass the "ponds"?

Just fyi-
Those ponds aren't ponds at all. They're hazardous waste impoundments from the former American cyanimid plant that occupied that whole area (including the Somerset patriots Stadium, the target/home depot shopping center, parking lot for rsritan rvl station, etc.). I'm not certain but my understanding is the home depot side of the rvl was the "clean" "office" side and the south side of the rvl tracks was the "nasty side" - anyway I think some of the ponds have been stabilized but others are still in need of major remediation. Bottom line I beleive the whole area is still private property owned by whatever company now owns the remnants of cyanimid. Most of it is probably fenced off as required by the epa but even non fenced areas I think are private property.

Also the "hill" next to the rvl by polymus is the "controlled landfill" for the stuff already pulled out of tje ground there but was too nasty to get treated.

If its not a Superfund site the only rreason is because the owner admits liability so the EPA has not taken over. (Lovely how its so close to Raritan River which supllies potable water to many....
  by Off Pending

The area around the waterworks crossing and CP PORT READING JUNCTION is very much off limits. Stick to the station platform at Bound Brook, or park trackside in South Plainfield.
  by ccutler

I remember riding my bike to the waterworks on that road in the late 70's. A large pipe was pumping rainbow-colored fluids into one of the ponds. Lovely. and by the time I was riding out [I turned around, didn't hang out there], my nose and throat were burning.

Yes the south side is the dirty side and the north side didn't have the factories, just offices and an old farmhouse that was demolished to make way for the mall.

I didn't realize that the 'hill' to the right of Doremus was toxic, I thought it was related to recycling sewage from the sewage plant.
  by michaelk

ccutler wrote:I remember riding my bike to the waterworks on that road in the late 70's. A large pipe was pumping rainbow-colored fluids into one of the ponds. Lovely. and by the time I was riding out [I turned around, didn't hang out there], my nose and throat were burning.

Yes the south side is the dirty side and the north side didn't have the factories, just offices and an old farmhouse that was demolished to make way for the mall.

I didn't realize that the 'hill' to the right of Doremus was toxic, I thought it was related to recycling sewage from the sewage plant.
Yep the "hill" is full of much of the nasties that came out of the lagoons to date. A normal landfill like might have sewage sludge or other municipal wastes, typically isn't covered with the liner like that on top- typically they just cap with a feet thick layer of clean soil. The stuff that burnt your eyes is probably still in that giant pile (unless it all evaporated from the lagoon) so if the liner didn't exist it would still be releasing that lovely stuff into the air. Actually much (most?) sewage sludge is de-watered and then given to farmers or actually pellitized and sold as fertilizer now a days. If you see a liner like that on top of the pile- something yucky is probably brewing...

The star ledger had an article just yesterday or the day before that the EPA came up with (yet another) long term cleanup plan. Again everyone is bitching about it (last plan from DEP was shot down years back). It' typically takes 10-30 years of water treatment once they actually all agree on a design to get the job done. You have to wonder sometimes if it wouldn't be better to just get moving on an almost perfect plan rather then fight over it for 20 years and nothing major gets done all the while the thing is sitting there doing whatever it is that stuff right next to a river that supplies drinking water does....

According to the Star Ledger article , the WORST part is apparently the 2 lagoons that are on the other side of the freight track- right alongside the river itself. But that isn't even to be handled in the currently proposed plan- it's down the road some time itself- Isn't that lovely....

Anyway- railroad rights of way frequently have fun stuff in them from years of whatever. Normally it is what it is, I'm not an alarmist- but that area is particularly nasty and i wouldn't voluntarily spend time there without getting paid....