Railroad Forums 

• CSX derail outside of Metuchen yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1010528  by cnj1524

Looks like CSX sd40-2 derailed outside of metuchen yard at the NEC interchange behind first aid squad,there was a large
crew there rerailing it ,tuesday jan 24
 #1010544  by TAMR213

If its an SD that would of been the off the ME-10 transfer job to Newark. Any idea how long ago this happened? I'm actually about to be traveling right through the area so it would be interesting to see.
 #1010707  by amtrakhogger

TAMR213 wrote:If its an SD that would of been the off the ME-10 transfer job to Newark. Any idea how long ago this happened? I'm actually about to be traveling right through the area so it would be interesting to see.
OI24 (or 32?) derailed on the east leg at Lincoln early Tuesday morning. It was an SD40-2 on the point and was still on ground as of 730a. By 515p today, the equipment was rerailed and moved.
 #1010737  by TAMR213

amtrakhogger wrote:
TAMR213 wrote:If its an SD that would of been the off the ME-10 transfer job to Newark. Any idea how long ago this happened? I'm actually about to be traveling right through the area so it would be interesting to see.
OI24 (or 32?) derailed on the east leg at Lincoln early Tuesday morning. It was an SD40-2 on the point and was still on ground as of 730a. By 515p today, the equipment was rerailed and moved.
Thanks for the info, forgot the symbol for the reverse train out of Oak Island. Passed through the area by about 5 and didn't see anything.
 #1010992  by OportRailfan

The engineer ran over a derail going into the east leg of the wye and somehow didnt derail with 30-something cars going over it. When he ran around to come back out, the loco ended up on the ground courtesy the derail.
 #1011099  by ThirdRail7

OportRailfan wrote:The engineer ran over a derail going into the east leg of the wye and somehow didnt derail with 30-something cars going over it. When he ran around to come back out, the loco ended up on the ground courtesy the derail.

Hmmm. Perhaps he picked the switch and when he made the reverse move................
 #1011361  by JimBoylan

I haven't seen the derail in this location.
Some derails of the "top of the rail" or "hop toad" variety are single ended, designed to only derail in 1 direction, although that isn't guaranteed for every movement. Derails that look like half of a diamond are designed to derail in both directions. It might be possible to trail through a switch point or "split rail" derail.
 #1011376  by OportRailfan

JimBoylan wrote:I haven't seen the derail in this location.
Some derails of the "top of the rail" or "hop toad" variety are single ended, designed to only derail in 1 direction, although that isn't guaranteed for every movement. Derails that look like half of a diamond are designed to derail in both directions. It might be possible to trail through a switch point or "split rail" derail.
Now that you mention it, I think there was talk of the split rail derail rather than a convention derail appliance. Again, I'm not familiar/qualified on that territory and have only been down there a handful of times.