Railroad Forums 

• Why did CR abandon some branch lines but not others?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1008791  by carajul

Just curious as to what CR's mentality was when it came to abandoning branch lines and not others. Case in point are two of my favorite branchlines with a quick comparison...

1. The millstone branch in franklin twp. From 1980-2001 there were no customers past the Rt 27 xing BUT they kept the branch.
2. The E&N branch thru wilson and easton pa still had a few customers and many potential more. CR told the customers to buzz off and quickly abandoned the line and sold the row.

Why would CR abandon a line with potential and active customers but not abandon a line that hadn't seen a turn of the wheel is 30 years?
 #1008797  by econandon

carajul wrote:Just curious as to what CR's mentality was when it came to abandoning branch lines and not others. Case in point are two of my favorite branchlines with a quick comparison...

1. The millstone branch in franklin twp. From 1980-2001 there were no customers past the Rt 27 xing BUT they kept the branch.
2. The E&N branch thru wilson and easton pa still had a few customers and many potential more. CR told the customers to buzz off and quickly abandoned the line and sold the row.

Why would CR abandon a line with potential and active customers but not abandon a line that hadn't seen a turn of the wheel is 30 years?
Just a suggestion: would this thread be more appropriate in the Conrail - 1976 to the Present forum? Some other recent threads might also be good candidates for migration.
 #1009258  by Off Pending

carajul wrote:Just curious as to what CR's mentality was when it came to abandoning branch lines and not others. Case in point are two of my favorite branchlines with a quick comparison...

I seem to remember serving at least one or two customers on the Millstone Branch west of Route 27 back in 1994.