Railroad Forums 

• Wharton question -- old trolley remnant?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1004592  by theShrubber

I noticed the other day, and went back and checked today, a several-foot section of rail poking through the pavement where South Main Street, Wharton intersects with Rt. 46, more or less curving as if turning onto 46 westbound.

Would this be left over from an old trolley line? If so, would that be the Morris County Traction Company line?

Thanks.
 #1004749  by cjvrr

It is most definitely the rail from the former MCT trolley line. There was / is a full wye at that intersection. Several years back when the roadway was milled for resurfacing the rails were clearly visible. They are only a few inches below the surface. Funny story about that, the milling machine hit one of the legs of the wye when they milled the southbound lane. It damaged the machine and required several hours of time to replace broken teeth. Our inspector (whom is a trolley buff) let the foreman know the other leg of the wye was on the northbound side of Main Street. They start the milling machine up and 'bam' they of course hit the other leg of the wye and a few more hours of work on the milling machine. When the inspector asked the foreman why he didn't listen, the foreman said, "we gotta get the asphalt off the road somehow."

I am not sure if rails remain in the rest of Main Street.

Just as an aside, there are trolley rails burried in Main Street Rockaway too, near Franklin Avenue.

Chris Vitz, Assistant County Engineer for Morris County

theShrubber wrote:I noticed the other day, and went back and checked today, a several-foot section of rail poking through the pavement where South Main Street, Wharton intersects with Rt. 46, more or less curving as if turning onto 46 westbound.

Would this be left over from an old trolley line? If so, would that be the Morris County Traction Company line?

Thanks.
 #1004946  by Uzi-Cat

Now that is cool. I live very close by so I am out on my way to check that out. I knew the trackage was there, I just didn't know that remnants still exist. Nice find.
 #1005003  by ns3010

Neat find! You never know what is out there until you look for it.

Landing's website has a bunch of neat photos of the Lackawanna and the trolley line going through the town: http://www.landingnewjersey.com/hist-photos1.htm
Bagels on the Hill in Landing also has a bunch of neat historical photos of the trolleys through Landing and Port Morris, as well as the Cutoff construction. They have one shot of the trolley passing in front of the train station, that was taken where my dad's office is today. If you're ever in there, it's worth stopping in to grab a bagel and look at the photos.
 #1025719  by CAR_FLOATER

Not on the Morris County Traction, but you can see old PS rails poking thru the pavement in Middlesex, NJ, too. Though I'm sure there are many other places throughout the state like this, too.