Railroad Forums 

• West Orange on the Erie

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#80182  by Scott Schnipper

Isn't there a cut in Watsessing (Bloomfield) on this line, to serve the siding to the old Westinghouse plant, which is still there beside the Parkway? In exploring this area on foot a couple years back, I seem to recall a lot of large concrete walls abuting the cut. Must have been a considerable investment, but no doubt worth it for the amount of freight shipped in and out of just that one plant.
 #80221  by Lackawanna484

Scott Schnipper wrote:Isn't there a cut in Watsessing (Bloomfield) on this line, to serve the siding to the old Westinghouse plant, which is still there beside the Parkway? In exploring this area on foot a couple years back, I seem to recall a lot of large concrete walls abuting the cut. Must have been a considerable investment, but no doubt worth it for the amount of freight shipped in and out of just that one plant.

Yes to Westinghouse. Because there were several extended sidings off both lines, it is likely several others had access to both rails as well. That was and is a major benefit to shippers

Depending on the years involved, both Erie and DL&W had at least five days per week local switching on their branches into the late 1950s

#80633  by BlockLine_4111

Did the the ERIE track ever connect to the M&E ?
 #1001950  by theShrubber

Bringing back another old topic . . . (remembered reading the topic back then; caught my interest because I used to live in West Orange and never knew the Erie had come to town, and my father used to work in East Orange along the same set of tracks.)

Stumbled across a website today with some old history of West Orange, http://www.westorangehistory.com

(by the way, my Norton Antivirus gives this site a "question mark," Untested rating, as opposed to Safe or Unsafe; so be forewarned)

One of the pages on this site includes photos of the Erie RR in West Orange, http://www.westorangehistory.com/id73.html .

I got a chuckle from the story near the bottom of a couple of kids accidentally letting a lion out of a rail car in 1913.
 #1002133  by Roadgeek Adam

website's worked for me when doing research, so I'd say its not that harmful.