• Pennsauken, NJ Cove RD

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by ConrailRailfan

Hi guys, I was thinkiong about going to go watch trains at the Cove Rd crossing in Pennsauken tomorrow. If I got there at 1 what frieght trains wouild I see?

Thanks,

Josef
  by Notch 8

Not many.
  by ConrailRailfan

Yea I went there yesterday for about two hours and nothing came.
  by ConrailRailfan

Does anyone know if there is going to be a train in the the next two hours? I'm trying to get a scanner so I can find out when the trains are coming.

Thanks
  by bluedash2

Since I've been catching trains up there for about a dozen years, I'll help you out. Your best bet is getting NS39G around 10-11am every day except Mondays as they usually go out as light power (usually NS 961). CSX Q-418 usually goes out before them between 7-9am. As far as pm action goes, CR (CSAO) WPCA-20 usually leaves the yard in the early pm M-F around 1 or so but has been leaving a few hrs later for a while now due to trackwork being done on the Hainesport IT. SP-18, the transfer job to S Philly (Greenwich) yard usually leaves after CA-20 about mid afternoons. The inbounds- 38G, C-759 and Q-417 usually come in after dark but sometimes you can get lucky getting 417 or 759 (the return of SP-18) in the daytime hrs. Other than stone or coal extras which almost entirely run at night, that's about it for Cove Rd.
  by NellieBly

Either "not many" is not the correct answer to the question, "How many trains go by Cove Road", or I'm a very lucky guy.

There is usually a big train leaving Pavonia in mid-afternoon, and another coming in. I've seen both several times while riding the River Line. And about a decade ago I hi-railed the Bordentown Secondary, and we set off at Cove Road around 4 in the afternoon. We hadn't even had time to release our Form D and report clear when a train came out of Pavonia on the track we had just occupied, doing about 25 MPH.

Conrail track charts indicate about 25 MGT on that railroad, so it's fairly busy.
  by chuchubob

It's rare for a train to come in in the afternoon. The current "schedule" is CSX Q418 going out early (7:15 today), CSX C759 coming in, NS 39G going out any time from 10 AM to 4 PM, usually sitting at Cove Road after Conrail delivers it and until the NS crew arrives.
In the afternoon, CSAO SP18 (the return of C759) and WPCA20 go out. Q417, 38G, and CA20 come in at night.
Extras, such as stone for Camden or Pleasantville, coal for Deepwater or Beesley's Point, and ethanol for Bridgeport nearly always come in overnight.
Rarely, Q417 or 38G will come in early, in the afternoon.
  by bluedash2

NellieBly wrote:Either "not many" is not the correct answer to the question, "How many trains go by Cove Road", or I'm a very lucky guy.

There is usually a big train leaving Pavonia in mid-afternoon, and another coming in. I've seen both several times while riding the River Line. And about a decade ago I hi-railed the Bordentown Secondary, and we set off at Cove Road around 4 in the afternoon. We hadn't even had time to release our Form D and report clear when a train came out of Pavonia on the track we had just occupied, doing about 25 MPH.

Conrail track charts indicate about 25 MGT on that railroad, so it's fairly busy.
MGT? ( I know it's not management, lol) I wouldn't say that busy but the inbound trains make up a lot of the car counts. And the NS 506 brings about 90-95 coal cars for Carney's Pt about one or twice a week.
  by chuchubob

CSAO WPCA20 arrived at Cove Road at 3:34 PM Thursday. A southbound River LINE went past at 3:35. CA20 started moving across Cove Road at 3:38 and crossed the River LINE to enter New Leg of Wye.
  by ConrailRailfan

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to try and catch SP18 around 3:30 today.

Thanks,

Josef