Railroad Forums 

• Newark CNJ Terminal To Be Torn Down

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#206585  by JLo

It's clear that the signs were removed at some point, as was the one that hung over the sidewalk, leaving only the original lettering from when the station was built. Don't know when that took place.

#206607  by Ken W2KB

JLo wrote:It's clear that the signs were removed at some point, as was the one that hung over the sidewalk, leaving only the original lettering from when the station was built. Don't know when that took place.
I believe that it was done as part of the defunct mall construction, when the skylight-like roof seen in the recent photo was placed over the structure.

The CNJ had removed the light bulbs from the Baltimore and Ohio letters (see the older photo) sometime after 1958 when B&O service ended. Reading service continued until the 1967 abandonment so those bulbs were kept.
Last edited by Ken W2KB on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

#206608  by rbenko

So the "New Jersey Central" lettering is original? Anyone know of any photos from way back showing this?

#206708  by MickD

Thanks for info Chieftain.

Ken,
What kind of service did Reading run into Broad St. at the end?
Did it supplement what CNJ ran or was it a combined train #?

#206726  by peconicstation

What kind of service did Reading run into Broad St. at the end?
Did it supplement what CNJ ran or was it a combined train #?[/quote]

I know that in the last years of service to travel to Reading Company Points, you simply used whatever CNJ Broad Street to Elizabethport shuttle was timed to connect with either the Wall Street or the Crusader.

You may have had to transfer twice, as I do not think that the Wall Street stopped at E-port. In the years leading to up "Aldene Plan" day, the Wall Street was still made up of Reading Coaches and a sharp Reading F-Unit while the Crusader was downgraded to a pair of Budd cars.

Perhaps someone out there knows if the Reading, or the B & O for that matter ever operated their own trains into Broad Street Newark, or were the connections always CNJ trains.

As for the pictures of Broad Street Station, Alive, and Dead. Thanks!, this was the first place that I ever "railfanned". I remember watching the Budd Cars come and go at Rush Hour, the last through CNJ train
Broad Street to Atlantic Highlands (that ended on October of '66), and the last shore excursions during the summer of '66.

Ken

#206812  by CNJ

peconicstation wrote:What kind of service did Reading run into Broad St. at the end?
Did it supplement what CNJ ran or was it a combined train #?
I know that in the last years of service to travel to Reading Company Points, you simply used whatever CNJ Broad Street to Elizabethport shuttle was timed to connect with either the Wall Street or the Crusader.

You may have had to transfer twice, as I do not think that the Wall Street stopped at E-port. In the years leading to up "Aldene Plan" day, the Wall Street was still made up of Reading Coaches and a sharp Reading F-Unit while the Crusader was downgraded to a pair of Budd cars.

Perhaps someone out there knows if the Reading, or the B & O for that matter ever operated their own trains into Broad Street Newark, or were the connections always CNJ trains.

As for the pictures of Broad Street Station, Alive, and Dead. Thanks!, this was the first place that I ever "railfanned". I remember watching the Budd Cars come and go at Rush Hour, the last through CNJ train
Broad Street to Atlantic Highlands (that ended on October of '66), and the last shore excursions during the summer of '66.

Ken[/quote]

I'm not sure that Elizabethport was a Reading stop for the Crusader and Wall Street. I believe that the Reading stopped only at Broad Street in Elizabeth.

Broad Street Elizabeth was the first stop for B&O trains after leaving Jersey City.

Hope this helps.

#207116  by Ken W2KB

Correct, CNJ (naturally, :wink: )

To my knowledge, the Reading and B&O did not run to Newark. I've never seen any indications of such in photos or timetables. So I believe that the signs were placed on the terminal in NJ's largest city to advertise the connections in Elizabeth and Jersey City (before 1946 when the Hackensack bridge was hit by a ship). The CNJ, Reading and B&O were under essentially common ownership in a corporate subsidiary relationship.

#207121  by Ken W2KB

CNJ wrote:I'm not sure that Elizabethport was a Reading stop for the Crusader and Wall Street. I believe that the Reading stopped only at Broad Street in Elizabeth.

Broad Street Elizabeth was the first stop for B&O trains after leaving Jersey City.

Hope this helps.
That does make sense upon reflection. There were a couple of thru trains run from Western Electric in Kearny to the mainline via E'Port to the end of service. I suspect that there may have been some from Newark Terminal in the heyday that would have faciltated a connection at Broad Street Elizabeth, with the plus of PRR passengers connecting to points served by the RDG and B&O.

#224975  by kilroy

From today's Star Ledger, discussing the possible demise of the graphic arts building.

Randy

Warehouse tenant battles on fate of building
Firm's lawyer alleges 'insider deal' with Newark arena area redeveloper
Wednesday, March 15, 2006
BY STEVE CHAMBERS
Star-Ledger Staff

The old concrete warehouse has sat near Newark's Penn Station since 1907, a hulking fortress that once received railroad cars on its second floor as part of a state-of-the-art freight-distribution operation.

Times change, of course, and when the city began discussing a downtown makeover that included a new arena for the Devils, it decided the warehouse had to be either demolished or refurbished for some more vital use.

In a quintessential Jersey spat, however, the building's lone tenant is fighting back, arguing the city is unfairly trying to seize the building and hand it over to a politically-connected businessman, Jerome Gottesman, who owns Edison Parking.
Edison was named the redeveloper of roughly half the city's 23-acre downtown makeover -- including the warehouse -- as part of a complex property swap that allowed construction of the arena to begin last summer.

"This is such an insider deal," said William Ward, a lawyer for Iron Mountain, a document-storage company that rents the warehouse. "Their (Newark's ) own experts said they could take this building or not take it as part of the redevelopment, but all of a sudden they take it. Why? Because they made a deal with Gottesman."

City officials deny they are singling out Iron Mountain and argue that such a strategically located building cannot remain as a ghostly presence in a redevelopment breathing new life into the city.

"We need a vibrant downtown core," said City Administrator Richard Monteilh. "Our plan calls for office, retail or commercial uses that create jobs. Presently on that site, there are few jobs and no activity, whatsoever. The entire building is taken up with paper."

Although Iron Mountain has kept the building in good, secure shape -- its own planning expert argues it doesn't meet the legal definition of blighted property -- there is little question that the area cries out for sprucing up. Fences topped with razor wire and surface parking lots dominate the landscape.

The city would like to see all this replaced with a park that includes a pathway linking Penn Station to the $310 million arena -- currently under construction -- as well as parking garages and several high-rise residential or office buildings with stores and restaurants on the ground floor.

Combined with the arena, the plan would dramatically reshape the entire stretch between City Hall and Penn Station. But to make it work, the city signed an agreement with Gottesman. He gave up land on the arena site, and the city in turn named him redeveloper of everything east of Mulberry Street -- about half the entire makeover zone.

Gottesman declined to comment, but Thomas Banker, a consultant to Edison, said the designation of redeveloper came with financial risks and contractual obligations that could cost the company its land if it fails to deliver.

"As a landowner, Gottesman had no obligation to build anything," Banker said. "He's stepped up and said, 'I want to be part of this.'"

Both Banker and Monteilh noted that neither Iron Mountain nor the warehouse owner ever approached city officials with a similar offer. But Ward said the state's sweeping redevelopment law -- which gives Newark the right to seize the warehouse and hand it over to Edison -- works much better for politically-connected people.

Gottesman has long been a powerful player in Newark by virtue of his large downtown land holdings. But he has not been shy about protecting his rights. In the late 1990s, he sued the city to stop the redevelopment plans, because he felt he was surrendering too much of his land. He held up the plans and eventually forced the city to move the arena.

Iron Mountain is battling the seizure of the warehouse in court, and Ward said he would seek to make the agreement with Gottesman an issue.
But Monteilh said it made perfect sense to put the site in Edison's hand. The company owns much of the surrounding property and was an experienced developer that has built high-rises in New York City.
The building's owner, David Berkowitz of Central Lewmar Corporate, has so far not gotten involved in the battle. A call to his lawyer was not returned.

Iron Mountain leased its warehouse 10 years ago and the company said it spent $3 million making it suitable for storing documents from a wide array of businesses, from financial services to hospitals to law firms. The lease gave Iron Mountain the right to purchase the building this year or extend the lease for 10 years.

"It's not like we've never had to move facilities, but it's very expensive," said Melissa Mahoney, a company spokeswoman. "It's an arduous undertaking that takes lots of time and money. For obvious reasons, we'd like to stay."

Banker, who headed the Essex County Improvement Authority for more than a decade, said that Iron Mountain would be fully compensated for its relocation expenses. But he said Edison is hopeful the city will soon prevail so the redevelopment plans can move forward.

"You're going to have a spanking new arena and park and roads, and next to it you'll have something that is, aesthetically, a nightmare," he said.

#245117  by peconicstation

Thanks for the link, I never saw photos of the interior from this time span.

I know that my late Father took some interior shots from just after the station was closed, I'll have to see if I can find them.

I wonder if any interior shots are bantering about from the 1970's when the station sat as a ruin, but untouched. I rememer in the late 70's there was a proposal to use the station as a Youth Hostel, and the ROW
through the Ironbound as a bike trail.

The one business that continued to operaate at the station through this time was the parking lot in the basement, aptly called 'Jersey Central parking"

Ken
 #374998  by red baron

many19 wrote:Here you can see a small yard w/ engine facilities they used to have and I walked it and there still an old american crane there abandoned but still all wheels on the track.
J

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... 5636[quote]
[/quote]

I don't ever recall that area being used as an engine servicing facility. I believe that site is a long defunct steel fabricating firm. There are more than a few "brownfield" sites in this area, and it may be one of them.

#383673  by CRB

#383677  by CRB