Railroad Forums 

• Newark CNJ Terminal To Be Torn Down

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#204150  by AndyB

Originally the tracks entered the building on the second floor at the south-east corner, ran accross the building at 45 degrees to the north-west with a number of tracks coming out of it to service loading platforms. The loading platforms could hold about 40 cars. The first floor had indoor loading docks for wagons and trucks. The upper floors were for storage

Would like to know how it was switched. A stean loco would put a lot of smoke in there.

Again, Is this the biggest CNJ building still standing?

#204855  by AndyB

Thank You CRB
Freight house is in upper right of photo.
The extra height of the second floor is evident in the window height. Cars would enter the building where the curved platform is. There is a substantial steel beam visible above the platform. This would have been the location through which freight cars were switch into the building.

Note the NJT loco just coming out of Newark Penn Station.

#204985  by Ken W2KB

AndyB wrote:Would like to know how it was switched. A stean loco would put a lot of smoke in there.
Just a guess, if smoke was a problem could have used idler cars to keep the loco outside, just like the CNJ and others did with carfloats so the heavy locomotive stayed on firm earth.

#205145  by AndyB

Just a guess, if smoke was a problem could have used idler cars to keep the loco outside, just like the CNJ and others did with carfloats so the heavy locomotive stayed on firm earth.
Somewhere in my files I have a copy of the track plan inside the building.
A track entered the building at the south-east corner and ran diagonally to the north-west corner. Sidings ran west and east from the diagonal. I think it was four west and three east. The east tracks were trailing point. The loco would have to go in first, past a siding switch and push in.

#205170  by CRB

#205172  by CRB

#205173  by CRB

#205183  by CRB

#205427  by AndyB

Some very nice photos. :-D

Thank You CRB

#205476  by CRB

You're welcome.

One more:

#205857  by MickD

I'll second that Thanks!!Great to see these!!

#206322  by MickD

Is there anything at all left of right of way in Newark besides bridge
over NEC??

#206342  by Irish Chieftain

There are remains of bridge abutments over Doremus Avenue, and Avenue P IIRC (not 100 percent sure)...but that would be it. Also, the bridge over the NEC extends over McCarter Highway, into the parking lot built on the former ROW into the Broad Street Station (still tracks on the bridge).

#206486  by rbenko

Don't know if this has been discussed, but I've noticed the facade has changed since the cessation of service. The 'old' facade had "Central RR of New Jersey" at top, and "Reading Lines - Baltimore and Ohio" just above the arches. Now it just has "New Jersey Central" just above the arches, and nothing at the top. Was this the 'original' look of the facade as built, and was it restored by the ill-fated mall builders? Anyone know?