Railroad Forums 

• Newark CNJ Terminal To Be Torn Down

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#916206  by Ken W2KB

Mgoldman wrote:Couldn't get access inside, obviously. I assume it still has four walls though not sure if it has a roof.

/Mitch
What is left is is the facade and at least part of a corridor that used to lead to the main station building that was torn down in the early stages of building the new arena.
 #918777  by kilroy

Ken W2KB wrote:
Mgoldman wrote:Couldn't get access inside, obviously. I assume it still has four walls though not sure if it has a roof.

/Mitch
What is left is is the facade and at least part of a corridor that used to lead to the main station building that was torn down in the early stages of building the new arena.
I'm not 100% sure but I think most of the station building was torn down for the failed mega tower/mall or whatever it was that they were building there years ago. Whatever structure that existed for the failed tower was removed to build the Rock.
 #918809  by Jtgshu

Renaissance Mall it was called....ironic because it was a rusting hulk of steel framework, never completed and abandoned, then demolished for the Pru Center to be built. Of course, the Pru center took up many other properties, Renaissance Mall was just one of the many.
 #918867  by Ken W2KB

kilroy wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:

/Mitch
I'm not 100% sure but I think most of the station building was torn down for the failed mega tower/mall or whatever it was that they were building there years ago. Whatever structure that existed for the failed tower was removed to build the Rock.

The platforms and train sheds were removed as part of the mall, but the station waiting room/ticket area, the main section, was to be the central section of the mall. I walked over at lunchtime just as the demolition for the arena was starting and spoke with the demolition foreman who let me onto the grounds a bit up to the point where PPE was required. The station was essentially intact, with the mall having installed escalator frames in it. It would have been like the central atrium that some fancy malls have.
 #919087  by dano23

They announced that they are going to build a hotel on the parking lot on Broad St., right next to the PRU center parking Garage. Not sure if this will affect the building at all.
 #921381  by JLo

dano23 wrote:They announced that they are going to build a hotel on the parking lot on Broad St., right next to the PRU center parking Garage. Not sure if this will affect the building at all.
The new Marriott should not impact what is left of the CNJ terminal. It is being built on an existing parking lot, and there buildings in between the terminal and the site of the new hotel.
 #921455  by kilroy

Went to the Rock on Staurday to donate blood and parked in the VIP lot behind the arena. While driving out I noticed I could see the CNJ station so stopped to take a look.

The back of the station is completely open, revelaing what's left. There are the side walls (with arched windows - open on one wall, the other side is bricked up) and there are ramps, I guess they lead up to the platfroms. I didn't have my camera but I did get a couple of shots with the phone. Just have to get them onto the computer so I can post them here.

Given it's position relative to the parking garage, I don't see how they can do anything with the building at this point to incorporate it into the arena. I see it being torn down for retail space when the "rebirth" of Newark occurs.
 #922060  by Ken W2KB

kilroy wrote:Went to the Rock on Staurday to donate blood and parked in the VIP lot behind the arena. While driving out I noticed I could see the CNJ station so stopped to take a look.

The back of the station is completely open, revelaing what's left. There are the side walls (with arched windows - open on one wall, the other side is bricked up) and there are ramps, I guess they lead up to the platfroms. I didn't have my camera but I did get a couple of shots with the phone. Just have to get them onto the computer so I can post them here.

Given it's position relative to the parking garage, I don't see how they can do anything with the building at this point to incorporate it into the arena. I see it being torn down for retail space when the "rebirth" of Newark occurs.
What you describe is the hallway that led to the main section of the station, i.e., the waiting room, ticket windows, and gates to the platforms. The train boards and so forth were similar if not identical to those in the Jersey City Terminal. The main section was located roughly on the footprint of the parking garage and the platforms to the east of the northern half of the parking garage.

The remaining part - the hallway - was to be used only as an entrance walkway to the arena. Could it still be adapted to that, based on your observations?
 #922068  by JLo

The rear of the parking garage is between the Arena and the terminal, but there is an elevated walkway between the garage and the Arena in the area of the terminal bulding. I'm sure the terminal could still be utilized as an entrance in some fashion, but it would not go directly into the Arena.
 #922390  by kilroy

It could be adapted to be a walkway to the parking garage but as noted by JLo, it woul not connect to the arena directly. Using it as a walkway would cut out a few parking spaces as well, unless some turns were put in to go around the parking garage.

I believe any entrances at the back are currently restricted access so I don't see how you could make this an effective entrance without changes to the arena itself. The station is in the middle of the block so walking in half a block so you could walk back to the street you just walked in from doesn't make any sense.
 #948792  by many19

What is going on here.
I was driving around Broad street the other day and now there are Posters of a large Hotel rendering which will be build right next to the station. In the corner of Lafayette street and Broad Street.
It looks like some buildings and houses will be bough out or moved out.
What will be the outcome of the Station.
 #948820  by Ken W2KB

many19 wrote:What is going on here.
I was driving around Broad street the other day and now there are Posters of a large Hotel rendering which will be build right next to the station. In the corner of Lafayette street and Broad Street.
It looks like some buildings and houses will be bough out or moved out.
What will be the outcome of the Station.
The Marriott property is under construction and will not impact the remains of the CNJ station or the brick building immediately to the south of the station remains. The red brick building is evident in the artist's rendition, though much less prominent than the hotel of course.
 #1032439  by ajp

the only way I see the use of the entry hall to the rock is by putting elevators between the hall and the parking structure to the parking structuers 4th floor where there is a walkway into the Rock itself.
But it makes no sense to have an entrance off Broad. No one takes the bus on Broad to the Rock.
there is a better chance for the originally proposed elevated walkway to Newark Penn along the old CNJ ROW - and that's not going to happen anytime soon