Railroad Forums 

• 2011 Browns Yard Santa train

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#992875  by RailsEast

Per a reliable source, looks like Saturday, Dec.10, for this years edition...
Chris
 #994193  by RailsEast

Hey, Wolf...by my calculations (mostly with the assistance of OCtrainguy's site)(thanks, Steve), it looks like this is the 25th anniversary of the Browns Yard special. The Conrail people responsible for this annual event should be duly saluted for their generosity; 25 years of 'anything' is hard to find these days.
Please express our appreciation to the good people at Browns for all that they have done, and continue to do......
Chris
 #994201  by wolfboy8171981

They've lost count, but I think you are correct. I enjoyed my short time as the conductor of the Santa train, and I know Andy enjoys his time as engineer. We both "got drafted" in 2001 or 2002.... ,I guess I lost count as well, my last year as conductor was 2007. I look forward to bringing my two kids ( wow time flies) to see Santa at Browns.

The caboose usually Springs,Summers,and Falls in the Car shop at Oak Island. It does nothing all year, really. It usually shows up on Thursday or Friday and leaves by Monday.

P.S My wife, who was my girlfriend at the time, has some pictures of Steve camping out at the Orchard in Freehold. She found it amusing to take pictures of the people taking pictures of the train.
 #994233  by bigblue5277

wolfboy8171981 wrote:

The caboose usually Springs,Summers,and Falls in the Car shop at Oak Island. It does nothing all year, really. It usually shows up on Thursday or Friday and leaves by Monday.
Thanks for that info. If I'm free I'll keep a lookout for it on its way down.
 #994300  by ChrisU

wolfboy8171981 wrote:They've lost count, but I think you are correct. I enjoyed my short time as the conductor of the Santa train, and I know Andy enjoys his time as engineer. We both "got drafted" in 2001 or 2002.... ,I guess I lost count as well, my last year as conductor was 2007. I look forward to bringing my two kids ( wow time flies) to see Santa at Browns.

P.S My wife, who was my girlfriend at the time, has some pictures of Steve camping out at the Orchard in Freehold. She found it amusing to take pictures of the people taking pictures of the train.
Would OI-16 bring it to Browns?
 #994442  by wolfboy8171981

NJTArrow2 wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:They've lost count, but I think you are correct. I enjoyed my short time as the conductor of the Santa train, and I know Andy enjoys his time as engineer. We both "got drafted" in 2001 or 2002.... ,I guess I lost count as well, my last year as conductor was 2007. I look forward to bringing my two kids ( wow time flies) to see Santa at Browns.

Would OI-16 bring it to Browns?
Yes
 #994444  by wolfboy8171981

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Has a final or tentative schedule been set for next week?
You must be new to this. I'll go easy. The plan has been the same every year. Train leaves Browns yard for Freehold Station around 10 for a 12:30pm arrival. When the line ends at Freehold, shove to Builders to run around caboose. A 3:30-4:00pm arrival at Jamesburg. Deadhead back to Browns afterwards.
 #994969  by OCtrainguy

wolfboy8171981 wrote:P.S My wife, who was my girlfriend at the time, has some pictures of Steve camping out at the Orchard in Freehold. She found it amusing to take pictures of the people taking pictures of the train.
I wonder how long ago it was. I'd love to see that photo.

I am planning on seeing the train on Saturday. The employees of Browns Yard, along with the respective groups in Freehold and Jamesburg, do a great job putting this event together and donating their time to make it all happen.
 #995044  by GSC

wolfboy8171981 wrote:P.S My wife, who was my girlfriend at the time, has some pictures of Steve camping out at the Orchard in Freehold. She found it amusing to take pictures of the people taking pictures of the train.
Some of my favorite pics are of photo lines and other shots of people jockeying around to get a good train shot.
 #996190  by wolfboy8171981

The train stays in Freehold until the last of the children meet santa. Usually at least an hour, sometimes Two.