Railroad Forums 

• CNJ's abandonment of Jersey City terminal

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#986440  by Don31

CJPat wrote:And just to emphasize the point that was addressed a bit mildly, don't forget the collapse of manufacturing throughout the entire zone, Newark to New York. NYC had a lot of manufacturing (usually the core foundation of most cities). This required a lot of raw materials brought in and finished products moved out. The cost of manufacturing in the NYC/Newark area was re-evaluated by the respective manufacturing owners to include the cost of their aging facilities (a lot of it going back to the late 1800's-early 1900's). As import taxes were reduced to promote global exchange of products and labor and facility costs were found to be cheaper down south, all those factories began to shut down and move South. Reduction in Manufacturing = Reduction in Freight, both in and out.

So throw that additional log onto the fire. The Aldene Plan definitely impacted CNJ, but in reality, the economy and the costs associated manufacturing had already driven a spike into the heart of the railroads in this area. The change in the municipal taxing laws of real estate in New Jersey also added a significant extra operation cost to the Roads.

Very true CJPat.
 #986481  by Don31

Jeff Smith wrote:I'd love to see that term paper. I bet it's an interesting study of what happened to railroads in general. Great discussion.
I second that. Any way you could share that paper with us?
 #986489  by peconicstation

Jeff Smith wrote:I'd love to see that term paper. I bet it's an interesting study of what happened to railroads in general. Great discussion.
I WISH I saved it, like a lot of people you realize later in life that you should have saved your school work.

I remember pouring over all the newspaper clippings about the CNJ and the Aldene Plan, and it was interesting reading to say the least.

One clipping that stood out was a piece written by the Newark Evening News (then THE newspaper for NJ), and it showed a lone conductor standing by the track gate at the Broad Street Station, the title of the article being "The Long Road To Oblivion". Buried in the article was a comment that the picture was taken late on a Sunday evening. The Broad Street to Elizabeth shuttles ran from early morning to late at night to connect with the Jersey City to Raritan, and Jersey City to Bay Head trains. Despite the cloud of whether commuter trains were viable or not, the fact was even then thousands were using the CNJ to commute to work. The media back then wasn't the biggest supporter of passenger train service.

As was mentioned even then the deck seemed to stacked against the Newark Bay Bridge, and the Port Authority seemed little interested in plans to
rebuild the bridge to fit in with a more active port. Every time I see the new lift bridge built between New London CT, and Groton CT along the NEC, I think of how that could have been a replacement for the Bay draw.

It is also worth noting that on the first real weekday of post Aldene Plan service (May 1, 1967) the PATH draw over the Hackensack river jammed open.
Talk about Murphy's law in action !

I say first real weekday, as on April 30, 1967 (a Sunday) the CNJ followed a weekday schedule to "test" the new service and schedules.

Ken
 #987387  by Ken W2KB

JimBoylan wrote:CNJ's Newark Bay Bridges (2 twin lift spans) didn't line up well with the channel and direction that the boats followed.
Quite so and they also were not wide or high enough to accomodate the expected larger future vessels. The Port Authority and the Coast Guard engaged in a collaborative effort to eliminate the bridge to enhance access to Ports Elizabeth and Newark. Note also that the Aldene Plan would divert passengers to the Hudson & Manhatten tubes which the PA was taking over. For years after Aldene the Port Authority publicity oft cited the dramatic increase in PATH ridership after it acquired the system - while conveniently ignoring the primary reason for the increase was forcing commuters to use PATH since the Aldene Plan.

A close parallel is the current project to modify the Bayonne Bridge to accomodate the larger vessels expected upon completion of the widening of the Panama Canal.
 #992002  by Semaphore Sam

OK, I'll bite. How much boat traffic (which might have been inhibited by the CRRNJ Bay Bridge) has been running since the destruction of the bridge? All that projected traffic...has it actually justified eliminating that bridge? What have been the traffic levels of boats that would have been inhibited by the bridge? Anyone actually know? Sam
 #992078  by Don31

Semaphore Sam wrote:OK, I'll bite. How much boat traffic (which might have been inhibited by the CRRNJ Bay Bridge) has been running since the destruction of the bridge? All that projected traffic...has it actually justified eliminating that bridge? What have been the traffic levels of boats that would have been inhibited by the bridge? Anyone actually know? Sam
I'm not sure about traffic levels, but the ships are much larger now and projected to be even larger in the near future (Panamax, New Panamax and Chinamax vessels).
 #992109  by Ken W2KB

Semaphore Sam wrote:OK, I'll bite. How much boat traffic (which might have been inhibited by the CRRNJ Bay Bridge) has been running since the destruction of the bridge? All that projected traffic...has it actually justified eliminating that bridge? What have been the traffic levels of boats that would have been inhibited by the bridge? Anyone actually know? Sam
I have seen very large ships transiting Newark Bay to Ports Elizabeth and Newark for many years. Very few smaller ones anymore as large ones are much more efficient for container cargo. The Port Authority probably has tonnage statistics in its reports, but anecdotally I believe the Port has been and is quite busy.
 #996637  by genesis11980

After the CNJ Terminal and yard complex was closed with the Aldene Plan, how long did it take before tracks were removed, out buildings were demolished and the freight yard and engine complex were shut down? Prior to 1976, I'd immagine, as that's when Liberty State Park was dedicated. I was just curious as to the timeline. I suppose some infrastructre was there for at least a year since I believe a move was filmed there in '68.

Thanks!
 #996872  by Ken W2KB

genesis11980 wrote:After the CNJ Terminal and yard complex was closed with the Aldene Plan, how long did it take before tracks were removed, out buildings were demolished and the freight yard and engine complex were shut down? Prior to 1976, I'd immagine, as that's when Liberty State Park was dedicated. I was just curious as to the timeline. I suppose some infrastructre was there for at least a year since I believe a move was filmed there in '68.

Thanks!
Per an e-mail I received a couple days ago from Bill McKelvey of Liberty Historic Railway:

"1974
The estimated $25 million restoration of the abandoned CNJ Jersey City Terminal was begun. At this time the ferry house, the yard towers, express building to the north of the Train Shed, coaling tower, round houses, and maintenance buildings were still standing. The ferry building contained a ferry concourse, offices and terminal support facilities, and provided cover for passengers between the Terminal and the ferry boats. Over objections of the architects, Geddes Brecher Qualls Cunningham, the state later demolished the 1914 ferry house which stood in front of the 1889 Terminal building and covered the floating bridges providing access to the ferryboats. The bridges, now exposed to the elements subsequently rotted and disintegrated."
 #997290  by GSC

The Pine Creek RR of Allaire received 400 (?) feet or so of metal hairpin fencing from the JC terminal in late '68 - early '69, to give an idea as to when things were starting to leave the terminal. They also got one of those tall announcement boards / track number signs that stood at the gates to each set of tracks.
 #997318  by 56-57

As per Vic Roseman pics in early 80's RMC, and Library of Congress photos, the Communipaw engine servicing facilities stood into the early 1980's. This includes the coaling tower, and dual (dueling?) roundhouses. Rail was pulled but the structures stood.

-Micah