Railroad Forums 

• Old Hoboken Elevated service

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#971534  by Komsomolskaya

I made this timeline of rapid transit in the New York City area, with maps showing the system every five years 1875-2010. I feel the Public Service Railway's Hoboken Elevated, which operated 1886-1949, ought to be included, but have found online information on it to be very scarce. It sounds like the elevated originally only ran to Palisade Ave; when was it extended along Central Ave to the incline near Journal Sq? What services ran on the elevated, what were their routes once they left it, and in which years did they exist? Any relevant information would be appreciated.
 #971970  by cruiser939

Komsomolskaya wrote:I made this timeline of rapid transit in the New York City area, with maps showing the system every five years 1875-2010. I feel the Public Service Railway's Hoboken Elevated, which operated 1886-1949, ought to be included, but have found online information on it to be very scarce. It sounds like the elevated originally only ran to Palisade Ave; when was it extended along Central Ave to the incline near Journal Sq? What services ran on the elevated, what were their routes once they left it, and in which years did they exist? Any relevant information would be appreciated.
I had a great little booklet with tons of pictures and information on this service but I recently gave it to fellow forum member uzicat. I doubt he checks this board but maybe you could ask him. I'll check the office for more booklets though, not sure what I'll find.
 #976660  by pumpers

Komsomolskaya wrote:.. I feel the Public Service Railway's Hoboken Elevated,....
One question about the this nycsubway.org site on the Hoboken-Jersey CIty elevated trolley. It mentions Henderson St by Observer Highway. Anyone know if they really mean Harrison St? I can't find Henderson on maps, old or new. JS
 #976755  by Ken W2KB

pumpers wrote:
Komsomolskaya wrote:.. I feel the Public Service Railway's Hoboken Elevated,....
One question about the this nycsubway.org site on the Hoboken-Jersey CIty elevated trolley. It mentions Henderson St by Observer Highway. Anyone know if they really mean Harrison St? I can't find Henderson on maps, old or new. JS
Henderson Street was renamed Marin Boulevard some years ago. The north end termiates at Observer Highway so it fits in with the Hoboken PSCNJ operation.
 #976853  by pumpers

Ken W2KB wrote: Henderson Street was renamed Marin Boulevard some years ago. The north end termiates at Observer Highway so it fits in with the Hoboken PSCNJ operation.
Yes, I was looking on the north side of what is now Observer highway on old maps, and completely missed Henderson on the south side. Thanks, JS
 #977017  by oknazevad

Great map Komsomolskaya, but I do wonder about the omission of the Broad St branch of the Newark Light Rail. Yes, it's essentially street running, and therefore not rapid transit, but you do include the street running portion of the HBLR as a dotted line. In all fairness, the HBLR would look like two separate systems without that dotted line, but it does give you an option regarding the NLR, making for a more complete picture.
 #979032  by oldrow51

I suggest you pick up, if you can find it, a copy of Edward Hamm Jr's The Public Service Trolley Lines of New Jersey. It gives details about the names and destinations of all of the routes that used the elevated from Hoboken to Jersey City. You can usually find a copy on ebay. It's a great book for the enthusiast.
 #979583  by Komsomolskaya

I was not able to find a copy of Hamm's book, but Joe Brennan answered all my questions by email. I reposted the information here in case anybody else is curious.
oknazevad wrote:Great map Komsomolskaya, but I do wonder about the omission of the Broad St branch of the Newark Light Rail. Yes, it's essentially street running, and therefore not rapid transit, but you do include the street running portion of the HBLR as a dotted line.
I showed street running with a thin line if it ran through to a significant grade separated section (i.e. one with at least two stations without grade crossings between them). If I included the Broad St NLR I'd feel obliged to include every other streetcar operation with an underground terminal, including the Williamsburg and Queensboro Bridge lines, every line out of the lower level of the Newark Public Service terminal, etc.

Also, the map only shows services that run at least every 20 minutes midday on weekdays, and the Broad St NLR is not that frequent! (This is also why the Staten Island Railway disappears in the 70s.)