Railroad Forums 

• Photographing both NS and CSX

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#945048  by trisonic

Is Bound Brook still a viable location to do this?
Apologies if this has been covered recently. I'm a Brit living in Union County and want to take a series of photos for an English website.
I understand that a murder took place at the Station recently?

If not what other locations in my area can I catch both railroads?
Thank you in advance, Pete
 #945175  by kilroy

Moving east to South Plainfield would improve safety. You won't get NJ Transit or the Reading Secondary to photograph but there are usually some railfans around on Saturday and Sunday mornings across the tracks from Sherban's diner at 222 Front St South Plainfield NJ.

http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com.mic ... 8642949650

You can get both NS and CSX but mornings tend to be more NS and afternoons maybe a little more CSX along this line.
 #945199  by Ken W2KB

There were several of the younger fans with tripod mounted cameras on the east end of the eastbound passenger platform I noticed at Bound Brook in the last day or two.
 #945224  by trisonic

Thank you.
If you know of any other places that may be of interest to me please feel free!
My next assignment will be the Black River Shortline.

Thanks, again. Pete.
 #945395  by trisonic

faxman wrote:there a group there on Thus PM, Sat mid day, and Sun early AM come join us
Apologies but I'm not sure which location you mean?
Thanks for the invite!

Best, Pete.
 #945487  by photorailfan

Bound Brook is one of the best places to railfan in New Jersey as far as train traffic goes. And the regulars there are a real good bunch of people. There used to be a large group of kids that hung out there but because of a recent gang related murder just west of the station you won't find them in large numbers anymore. That could be a good thing concidering that they were pretty loud. As for NJ police, i was at Bound Brook a week ago and notice them for the first time. They never bothered to say anything to any of us.
 #955561  by bigblue5277

The Bound Brook station is nice but has been heavily photographed. I like the location just east of I-287. Park at Bridgewater station, walk toward I-287, over the NJT road crossing that's next to I-287, go under I-287 overpass and walk south along the Middle Brook. There is a path to follow.
Hear you get a nice view of an NJT bridge
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/editPi ... id=2520019

Continue south until you hit the Lehigh Line where there will be two truss bridges.
This picture was taken when the Raritan River was flooded.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/editPi ... id=2576692
Normally this whole area is dry and it's easy to cross under the bridges.
Crossing the brook may present an interesting challenge.
trisonic wrote:Is Bound Brook still a viable location to do this?
Apologies if this has been covered recently. I'm a Brit living in Union County and want to take a series of photos for an English website.
I understand that a murder took place at the Station recently?

If not what other locations in my area can I catch both railroads?
Thank you in advance, Pete
 #955673  by joesirr

Hi, I was at Bound Brook station on Monday from 10:30am to 12:30. Didn't see one freight train, can anyone recommend better times on what days to go there
Only watching, not taking pics, thanks, Joe.
 #974787  by trisonic

Please excuse me for asking but are the shots from public accessible land? Not trespassing or with special permission?

I have a note from Gary Husband of NS assuring me I will not be hassled by NS employees (or the Police) for taking photos from public vantage points (to avoid over enthusiastic employees from calling the police at the sight of someone with an SLR taking pictures of company stock/row etc., It happens as we know). I'm particularly sensitive because I'm not a US citizen (yet) but am English.

Best, Pete.
 #974929  by Ken W2KB

It appears that 4 out of 5 were taken from the NJ Transit station eastbound platform so are fine. The 5th looks like it was taken from slightly to the south of the west end of the platform; this one may be a bit problematic.
 #974946  by chuchubob

I anticipated staying on the platform, but when a half dozen railfans congregated in the area between NJT and Conrail, I joined them.