Railroad Forums 

• Last operational steam loco on Pine Creek RR: where now?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1273040  by R&DB

steamchaser wrote:Now that they own it, might it jump in line ahead of #46 to run again? Last time I was there the guys at the shop told me it wouldn`t need a ton of work to get going again but weren`t going to touch it because they didn`t own it.
This seems like a sound idea. If there is not much work to do perhaps we'll see it run this year.
 #1274849  by GSC

I often wondered why we coughed up the expense for new driver tires when we didn't own her (then) for all the wear and tear they'd get in such limited use. Those "pizza cutters weren't that bad for our operation. Now it all makes that work worth it. Loved running that engine, easy to fire and run.
 #1289421  by scottso699

From what my dad tells me (he was out at the Pine Creek Railroad over the weekend) the money that was to be used to fix #26 may have to be diverted to fix #45. Apparently #45 broke down and possibly is in need of some significant repairs. From what my dad was told, #26 was to be shipped to Strasburg RR this week to be re-tubed. That would really be an unfortunate set back if the money for #26 would have to be used to fix #45. :(
 #1289568  by scottso699

Yikes... I remember when I used to run it back in the late 90's that occasionally one engines would just cut out while running it around the loop! I assume this is not something easy to fix as the parts are not readily available...
 #1291797  by scottso699

I talked to a couple of the employees when I visited the PC RR over the weekend and it looks like #26 is on the back burner for a couple of reasons. They had to fix #45's traction motor and Strasburg is pretty backed up. Apparently they are busy working on the LI RR G5s and doing work for Union Pacific's 3444 and 3985 engines. Apparently they will be taking on work for the upcoming Big Boy restoration project too. So they are not sure when #26 will be back in service...
 #1292895  by GSC

scottso699 wrote:Yikes... I remember when I used to run it back in the late 90's that occasionally one engines would just cut out while running it around the loop! I assume this is not something easy to fix as the parts are not readily available...
We ran #45 many times with just one engine running. She had plenty of power for the train, and it saved fuel.
 #1293022  by scottso699

GSC wrote:
scottso699 wrote:Yikes... I remember when I used to run it back in the late 90's that occasionally one engines would just cut out while running it around the loop! I assume this is not something easy to fix as the parts are not readily available...
We ran #45 many times with just one engine running. She had plenty of power for the train, and it saved fuel.
That's for sure! That think is a brute! I know that 7751 is usually the mainstay when running but I like #45 so much better. It just looks like it belongs better with the consist rather than the short 7751. I noticed that you all added train brakes to #45 - pretty cool. I was there over the weekend and my daughter was amazed at how loud the bell is - we could hear it all the way over at the play ground!
 #1293912  by GSC

Tradition at work, Scott. A "real" brass bell has far better tone, and shear noise volume, than a steel bell. Listen sometime to a real church bell, and then listen to the "tink-tink-tink" of the steel bell on an NJT engine. Big difference.

Annoying perhaps, but you know the train is coming!